-24

Shinobu surely knows how to catch a visitor's eye with her choice of flora. But of course, the place isn't called the Butterfly mansion for nothing.

As Sayomi strolls along a small, wooden bridge towards a row of cherry blossom trees on the other end, she tilts her head back to take in the sight of the night sky, the halo around the moon looking thicker than usual.

She closes her eyes and shifts her gaze to the pond below, the moon's reflection sparkling underneath her as the reflective light ripples through the water. Shifting her weight onto her right leg, she leans against the railing and unties the ribbon from her long hair, staring blankly at the soft strip in her hand as the evening breeze rakes through her hair.

"What am I going to do..." She mumbles softly to herself, a profound sigh slipping out of her.

She has already perceived the knowing look on Mitsuri's face when she asked how she was able to survive Akaza's punch, and if Sayomi had to be honest with herself during the moment, she would've satisfied Mitsuri's adamancy to know and revealed the truth on the spot.

She's tired. She's a few steps away from blurting it out recklessly, caring less of what they will do to her afterwards. Even after Tamayo's help, she feels as though she is still skating on thin ice.

It's certainly taking some time to crack.

"Sayomi!" A familiar, strained yell pulls her out of her contemplative trance and she freezes in her spot at the sight of Mitsuri limping towards her from across, Senjuro trailing in behind her and desperately trying to goad her back into the mansion with every tug of her arm.

The tranquil mood of the garden has changed.

"Kanroji-san, please! You can't be out here!" The teen makes another attempt to stop her in her tracks but she dismisses his pleas, her expression transitioning into an angrier display. As soon as Mitsuri steps foot onto the bridge, it is only then Sayomi notices a certain article of clothing clutched firmly in her hand– her gakuran  jacket.

Her already pale face feels like it is being drained of whatever warm palette was left.

Senjuro keeps up, laying a hand on Mitsuri's shoulder to dissuade her from making another move that might trigger her injury pain. She jerks his hand away from her shoulder and stares sharply at Sayomi in a heavy mixture of disbelief and rage, the Shadow Pillar's wide eyes flicking down at her jacket and back up to Mitsuri's glossy, green eyes.

"You lied to me," Mitsuri emphasizes as she holds out the jacket, her voice croaky from being out of breath. Sayomi winces a little from the hurt in her voice, every inch of her cowering from the things she had to say to keep her identity at bay. "I know what I saw. You would have been killed."

Rendered speechless under her glare, Sayomi can only look away from the guilt, her breathing straying from its regular pattern.

What was she thinking when she thought nobody, let alone Mitsuri, would dare go through her clothes once she left the room?

"Sayomi, please! Tell me the truth. So many things were said that night and I can't help but think that-" Mitsuri trails off upon realizing that she's coming off too strong when all she wants is for her fellow Pillar to tell her the truth herself.

She sniffles and recollects herself afterwards, setting Sayomi straight with a stern narrow of her eyes, each of her words succeeded by soft yet shallow breaths. "Tell me. No more lies. How were you able to survive that punch?"

Sayomi shifts her fragile look to an anxious Senjuro standing attentively behind Mitsuri, and he meets her apologetic gaze.

She would be telling him too.