-8

Warning: Mentions of sexual abuse.

~°~°~°~°~°~

"Is it just me or is the wall...uh, slippery?" Mitsuri questions with a look of disgust on her face as she runs her hand over the inner wall of the entrance. Cringing a tad, Sayomi swipes two fingers across the surface and tuts, wiping her fingers with the hem of her haori. "It's...really slippery."

"I can't imagine what's down there then."

"Before we go, what did the officers tell you?"

Mitsuri glances at the gloomy entrance  and proceeds to inform Sayomi that witnesses had seen instances of young women being escorted into shady areas in the town by different men and these men seem to be working towards the same goal albeit separately.

Investigators have been trying to hunt down where they could've disappeared to since the men, along with the girls they drag along, always seem to 'vanish into thin air', leaving no tangible trace behind.

And now the two Pillars have found that possible place, but they've yet to uncover what's in there.

"I see," Sayomi takes a deep breath in and ducks as she pokes her head into the space, subtly taking in the scent of the place. Their culprit should be right up ahead, "we should head in."

A little unsure about whether or not they will be able to properly see in all the darkness in the space, Mitsuri pokes her head in as well. "It's so dark. We need to buy a lamp."

Sayomi's eyes light up as she reaches into her breast pocket and picks out a few coins, relieved that she's brought money along for this. She doesn't necessarily need light to see with her enhanced vision but this is for Mitsuri. She hands it to her and she dashes out of the alleyway to buy a lamp from any of the vendors. Mitsuri returns with one already lit and inhales sharply as she faces the darkness ahead, chuckling nervously. "Shall we?"

Sayomi nods and they head in together, feeling the air suddenly shift inside. The atmosphere within the tunnel feels a lot more moist and unsettling. Mitsuri holds the lamp up, shining light on the surrounding walls and revealing ruinous chinks on the bricks. The light isn't strong enough to make sense of what's ahead of them and although the path is one-way, it seems as though it goes farther and deeper. Has this secret tunnel been around for long?

Mitsuri turns her head back and tuts, finding total darkness envelop where they've been. "How far does this go? What if someone has entered too?"

Sayomi sniffs the air subtly and assures her. "We should be in the clear for now." Not long after, the light from the lamp begins dimming and it sends Mitsuri into a slight panic.

"Are you kidding me?"

"No quick, hold it up." Sayomi asserts and Mitsuri follows, the light revealing another entrance with a mini staircase that should lead to where they need to be. They stalk their way in carefully and Mitsuri holds up the lamp and gasps at the sight of a huge room containing several yet empty prison cells present on either side.

It's like a dungeon.

"What would someone need these for...?" Sayomi mumbles questioningly as she makes her way down the steps ahead, her fingers slowly clenching  around the hilt of her sword.

"They're all empty," Mitsuri shines the dying light over the cells, getting up close with the little intensity the lamp now has, "there has to be something telling here."

"You think this could be where those girls were taken?"

"My gut is strong on that one, but we have to make sure of-" Mitsuri pauses with a gasp at the sight of a faint light coming from the tunnel. Sayomi immediately notices and grabs her hand as they quickly take cover in one of the cells in the corner. They both squeeze into a dark corner and Mitsuri puts out the light entirely, clasping her hand over her mouth.