-4

Headquarters

The downpour begins and it is muffled from inside of the estate as the Hashira discuss their next course of action with regards to the appearance of an Upper Moon and the possible appearance of the rest. Their murmurs die down as three of the Kakushi appear in the doorway and apologize for interrupting, making way for Sayomi to enter the scene.

They all turn to her and she lowers her head anxiously, standing incredibly still in her spot. A brief period of silence fills the air until Mitsuri rises from the floor and runs to her, engulfing Sayomi in a tight yet sudden embrace, taking her by surprise.
"Sayomi..."

She remains frozen for a little while before sniffling and returning her hug. Inside, she's grateful one of them had immediately sensed her grief about Kyojuro's passing but a huge part of her can't help but torment itself from what she has to hide now.

"Are you okay...? We thought something happened to you too..." Mitsuri holds her shoulders gently and she nods, swallowing the lump in her throat as she subtly avoids her gaze. "I'm alright. Thank you."

She can't look anyone in the eye in fear that she might be exposed. So far, no one has acted up strangely in her presence so her eyes must still be in their human color, which is a relief.

She treads carefully towards Kagaya as he beckons her over to him with a sympathetic expression. She feels the Hashira's eyes on her and the sensation makes her want to recoil instantly, but she has to keep her cool in the midst of all this.

She bows before Kagaya and gets on her knees, exhaling softly. "Oyakata-sama. I apologize for making you wait."

Kagaya looks at her with soulful yet tactful eyes, as if examining her in the kindest way possible. He holds his hand up and smiles warmly. "At ease, Sayomi. I know today hasn't been easy for you, but I just want to let you know that Kyojuro did us all proud and has given the swordsmen more hope for the future."

Sayomi raises her head slowly to look at him, as though his voice has encouraged her to loosen up before him. Reassuring her that everything will be fine...and for a moment, she wants to believe it too.

"Thank you, Oyakata-sama. He had...indeed fought with his heart ablaze." She fights back the strain in her voice from the grief and composes herself, the wound losing Kyojuro has left opening up slightly.

The rest of the Hashira give her a sympathetic glance before turning to what Kagaya has to say. "Now that you're here, you might have a hint of the reason why."

She has the hint but doesn't respond as she waits for him to piece it together. "As tradition goes, when a Hashira dies or retires, their tsuguko takes the mantle. And knowing your overall record on the number of demons you've slain, you will effectively be taking Kyojuro's place from here on. I apologize for the delay in your promotion."

This is it. It had been an ambition to become one of the elite swordsmen, however, she always imagined being a Pillar alongside Kyojuro and not replacing him.

This feels like a soulless dream achieved now that he's gone.

It doesn't really matter but he had always wanted this for her as well and so this is for him.

"Thank you, Oyakata-sama. I will not disappoint you. I guarantee it."

"I know you won't. You've come so far, Sayomi. He, and especially your brother, would've been proud of you." Kagaya reassures her of what could've been. She doesn't know why but as much as she wants to dwell on the prospect, she can't help but lower her head and nod weakly, unable to look anyone in the eye. She desperately hopes her fangs weren't apparent when she talked.