10: This Book

This Book

Monday rolls around and with it brings the butterflies raging war inside my stomach to see Lucas. The day passes by uneventful. The highlights were in history and gym when Lucas brought conversations about the history paper he apparently got a B on. He kept thanking me over and over again for showing him that song which really helped him.

I hear a knock on my door around four o'clock. I take out my head phones and put down my pencil.

"Come in." I holler.

My mom walks in with an apron wrapped around herself. "What are you up to?" She takes a seat on the bed next to me.

"Homework for physics. It's not due till Thursday but I thought I would get a head start on it now."

"Well do you think you could take a break for a little bit? I need you to do an errand for me."

"Sure what is it?"

"My book club is starting  a new book tomorrow but I haven't had time to get it yet. I've been so busy with PTA and the church bake sale. Do you think you could run by the bookstore and pick it up for me?"

"Yeah of course, I wanted to get a new book anyways." I stand up from my bed and grab the jacket hanging off my chair.

...

I park my car in the back parking spot. I make the long walk through the parking lot up to the front doors of Barnes and Nobel.

I immediately find the book my mom wants since it's in the front on the bestsellers table. I pick it up and continue back to the young adult fiction section. For fifteen minutes I walk down the aisles and find a few books I want to get. I find another one and bend down to pick it up.

"Are you hunkering down for the winter?" A voice startles me. I jump up, almost dropping the books in my hands.

"Bash?" I furrow my eye brows at him. He crosses his arms making the muscles in his arms bulge. "What are you doing here?" I ask confused.

His face still looks a little beat up from the other night. The gash on his forehead isn't as big as I thought it was.

"I asked you a question first," he counters back with a small smirk.

I shake my head and look down at the pile of books in my arms. "Oh right, um... wait what was it?" I look up at him.

He chuckles and shakes his head. A few locks of hair fall down so he brushes his fingers back through them. "I asked if you're hunkering down for the winter. You have six books in your arms." He points to my arms.

"I'm not going to buy them all. I'm just having a hard time choosing between them all." I do my best to shrug my shoulders with the extra weight in my arms.

"What's the difference between them? Don't they all have love triangles and some mythical creatures in them?"

I scoff. "No. Not all books are like twilight Bash." His eyes screw shut as he laughs. "I can't choose because I don't know what I want. I kind of want a dystopian novel but then again I kind of want a fantasy novel. Then there's the decision between a love triangle or a regular relationship. Oh! And also some of these are sequels to other books I have but I can only get one." I finish in one breath. Bash continues to laugh. "Hey, it's a hard decision okay?" I say frustrated.

Making my choice quickly so I won't have to be around Bash any longer I put the bottom four back in their places. Bash follows me around as I do so.

"You have to answer my question now." I turn to him now only holding two books.

"Oh right well I'm stalking you." He says seriously. "Didn't your mother ever tell you to stay away from boys with tattoos?" He says taking a step closer.