12: This Dinner

This Dinner

I don't know if it's the lighting or my nervousness but I could swear his hazel eyes brighten and his smile gets bigger when he sees me.

I reach the bottom with success but still in a daze. I feel my father's warm hand on my back pulling me to his side. "Sadie say hello to Mr. and Mrs. Favero and their son Lucas."

"Hello." I say sweetly holding out my hand to Mr. and Mrs. Favero. Mr. Favero has brown hair like Lucas but it's a few shades darker. Also his eyes are the same color as his sons though, as is his nose and chin. His mother has light brown hair, the same shade as Lucas. Her skin is perfect for her age and her brown eyes are bright. I already like her.

I turn to Lucas, completely lost on what to do. Confused I hold out my hand to him also. How are you supposed to greet someone into your home when you're not supposed to know who they are. Or are you?

"Hi Sadie," he says with a big smile. Instead of putting his hand in mine he wraps his arms around my torso pulling me towards him. "Nope, I hug my friends."

Friends? Did he says friends? I'm his friend? I inwardly let out a scream. I have been waiting six years for this moment. Actually I've been waiting six years for the moment that leads up to this.

I'm making progress though, that's what counts.

After what I feel is a few seconds to long he lets me go. Only then do I realize I wasn't hugging him back and my feet weren't touching the ground. Oh how embarrassing, kill me now.

I'm saved by any questions about my awkward behavior when his father speaks up. "You two are friends? I didn't know that son."

I didn't know that either.

"Looks like they've been keeping secrets Henry because I didn't know either." My father slaps him on the back.

"Let the kids have their lives, let's eat." My mom ushers everyone into the dining room.

Lucas takes a seat next to me while my father sits at the end and Mr. Favero sits across from Lucas. Our Moms go into the kitchen to bring in the food.

"So you kids go to the same school I assume." Mr. Favero asks us.

"Have been since middle school." I smile at him.

"Middle school? I didn't know that son." He looks towards Lucas.

"Well we're not really in the same group of friends but we have three classes this semester so we just really started talking."

"What classes are those?" My dad asks.

I know their just waiting to break down and talk about business. They're just trying to make it seem like they don't want to but I can already see the little beads of sweat at the top of my dad's forehead. He's about to burst if he doesn't talk about the stock market soon.

"Science, history, and gym." I tell him.

"I still can't believe every one heard what Jake said today, even the teacher!" Lucas lets out a beautiful laugh.

I crack a laugh thinking about science today. "What I was wondering was if he meant it to be a threat or a payment to the class." I turn to Lucas seeing he's already turned towards me with a big grin on his face.

"You haven't seen his body? It was most definitely a threat, no one wants to see his hairy chest or his third nipple," he says seriously.

"Lucas!" Mr. Favero yells at his son from across the table but once he notices me and my dad laughing the glare fades away.

"What dad? It's true. I'm only friends with him out of pity." Lucas tries his best not to smile.

"Oh poor Megan Richardson," I mumble thinking of his latest conquest that our whole science class now knows about.

"What's all the laughter about in here?" Mrs. Favero walks in the room carrying a bowl of salad with my mom behind her.

"We're talking about Jake's third nipple." Lucas tells his mom.

"Lucas! We have been swimming with that boy since he was little, he most certainly does not have a third nipple." She chastises.

We start to eat the casserole and salad in front of us. When I look around the table I notice that Mr. Favero eats with his left hand. I always find it interesting when someone is left handed. It's like finding Waldo but I never search for left handed people.

Our fathers finally get to start talking with each other about business. After fifteen minutes their wives get sick of it and make them change the subject.

"So Lucas you said you're in Sadie's history class. Tell me, does she love it as much as she says she does?" My dad asks him.

"Oh yes sir, she definitely does. I'll watch her in class while Mr. Patrick is lecturing which is boring for everyone else and she always has a big smile on her face. And also whenever he asks a question Sadie always jumps up and down in her seat as if he doesn't pick her she'll die."

"I do not." I elbow him in his side with a smile. Does he really watch me in class?

"Oh yes you do. Also I'm pretty sure she aces every test he gives us." He turns back to my father.

"Do you sweetie?" My dad asks me with a proud smile on his face.

"No..." Lucas makes sure to stare deep into my soul. "Okay fine, I do." I throw up my hands.

"That's my girl."

"That's amazing." Mr. Favero leans toward me. "You know Lucas isn't very good at history, I never was either-"

"Trust me dad, she knows I suck at history, you don't need to remind her."

"I just got a great idea!" My mom claps her hands at the end of the table. We all turn to her. "Why doesn't Sadie tutor Lucas? I mean if he's okay with it that is."

Of course my mom would come up with that idea. She wants me to get more involved in the community, be like her. She thinks I'm going to grow up and be a part of the PTA and the church volunteers and help out at the shelter. I'm about to decline for Lucas but the words catch in my throat when he speaks up first.

"I think that's a great idea. I would love to be tutored by her!" His hand rests on my shoulder giving it a squeeze.

I numbly here his father and mother agreeing with him, saying it's a great idea. I don't hear much more.

I get embarrassed with myself. I'm acting ridiculous; it's just studying not dating. Two completely different things, except tutoring will mean spending long amounts of time together.

Alone with the only boy I've thought about for six years.

"Sadie?" I feel a hand on my shoulder nudge me.

I snap back into focus. "What?" I spin my head around to look at Lucas.

"Are the weekends okay? I have baseball practices after school." He asks with a small smile. His eyes seem brighter as they stare into mine, as if their trying to figure something out.

"Yeah, yeah that's fine with me." I nod my head politely.

We spend the rest of the dinner discussing school and business. Before I would like it, the dinner is over and the Favero's head home.

We walk them to the door saying our goodbyes. They thank us for the dinner and my parents agree that we should do it more often. Mr. Favero has a big smile on his face, bigger than it has been throughout the dinner, he must be really excited about how well this dinner went with his boss.

Lucas gives me another big hug goodbye, lifting me off my feet and squeezing the life out of me. While no one's looking he leans in close and whispers, "Can't wait to have you tutor me Sadie." His voice is mostly gleefully like it normally is but when he says my name it turns a little dark and husky.

I stare at his retreating back shocked as his father leads him out of the house. My dad turns to me after closing the door. "Well that was a very nice dinner. What do you guys say about watching a movie and some ice cream?"