This Confession

Three hours later in History I try my best to ignore Lucas's stares. I know that if I turn around and look three people to the right then I will see Lucas Favero looking at me with a pleading and an apologetic expression.

How could he? I expected this from the guys on the football team but not Lucas! He was never one to be so selfish, or so I thought.

Three minutes before the bell rings to end class I head up to Mr. Patrick's desk and politely ask if I could leave early. Either because I'm a good student or because he has been watching me with a careful eye all period he nods his head and lets me leave.

As soon as I'm out of the classroom I feel a weight being taken off my shoulders. I've felt sick to my stomach and hurt ever since Lucas's confession in the dugout. But since I've already missed this week of school I don't have the luxury to leave, otherwise I would have as soon as I heard those words come out of his mouth.

The bell rings when I'm halfway to gym, students quickly crowd the hallways. Faintly I hear someone calling my name from behind and I know its Lucas. Instead of turning around and waiting for him to apologize.. again... I keep walking down the hall until I reach the girls locker room.

...

"Um Sadie," mumbles Ella beside me.

"Yeah," I ask absentmindedly while trying to focus on the ball in the air.

"No need to freak out or anything but Lucas Favero has been staring you for the past five minutes."

I roll my eyes and take a deep breath because I'm very clear on his staring. I can feel his gaze on me like a fire on my back.

"I know," I say quickly before running to catch the ball that has been kicked in my direction. I throw it back to the pitcher, stopping the person on first base.

When I stand next to Ella again next to third, she looks at me with a shocked expression.

She whispers fiercely, "Did something happen between you two?"

"Strike!" The coach yells gaining my attention.

Up to kick at the oh so entertaining game of kickball is Lucas himself who for the first time in his life just got a strike thanks to his distraction: me. The pitcher rolls the ball again towards him and this time he kicks it until he can run to second base.

"Well," Ella asks again with less patience.

Before the next person can kick the ball I whisper, "We kissed."

The ball goes flying and Ella squeals with excitement. Then of course because I have the worst luck Lucas runs to third and stands with less than a foot between us.

"Sadie," he says with a pleading voice. I know if I turn to look at him he will look like I just kicked his puppy.

I cross my arms in defiance and ignore him. Ella senses the tension and in the most non sly way possible excuses herself.

"I-I uh have to um go over... uh there!" She points behind her but instead skips, literately skips with giddiness to the other side of the gym, all the while giggling like a mad woman and squealing.

Wow I have a great friend, really.

"Talk to me," he begs.

"I'm done talking to you," I snap. I've heard enough of his excuses and apologies today and I don't need anymore.

The next kid in line kicks the ball and the kids around the bases run two more, except Lucas who stays standing on the base next to me.

"What are you Favero?" Guys on his team scream.