Xmas Bonus Chapter Part 2

Read the important note at bottom please

I have to take three deep breaths before walking into the living room where I can hear voices travelling from. I know my Mom's in there but I don't know if I'm ready to see her yet.

Quinn doesn't give me a choice and drags me in, making me stumble over my feet.

"Look who I found," she announces cheerily, catching everyone's attention.

When Quinn steps aside my eyes automatically fall on my Mom standing not ten feet from me. She looks like no one I remember. Her normally pinned back hair is cut to her shoulders and laid carelessly across them. She's wearing noticeably less makeup than she used to but she's still gorgeous. And not to mention her clothes. I remember my Mom dressing up in the highest heels and most conservative dresses. Now she's wearing a sweatshirt and jeans with boots.

And she looks happy.

"Sadie," she exclaims, her eyes bright and her arms held out for me to run into.

But I don't.

When I was imaging this moment for two years there was no doubt in my mind that Bash would be beside me, urging me to go forth and hug my Mom. But he's not here and suddenly I don't have the courage to do so.

"Sadie," she repeats slower and less enthusiastic. "Aren't you going to say hello?"

I gulp, feeling my throat clog up. Before I can run from the room Quinn elbows me in the ribs, quite harshly. After receiving her glare I man up and face my Mom, forcing on a smile.

"Merry Christmas Mom."

Her arms drop disappointedly but her smile begins to come back. "You look so grown up."

"Well duh," Sarah points out. "You haven't-"

"Sarah," Nathan hisses, making his wife shut up immediately. It doesn't matter because everyone knows what Sarah was going to say anyways. An awkward tension settles around the room, until finally an unfamiliar voice speaks up.

"I'm Victor."

Cautiously my eyes shift over to the man standing next to my Mom. I recognize the name instantly but I don't recognize him, not even from my imagination. I had expected him to be... I don't know. Not like this.

He's tall, really tall. He's big, built like the hulk. His eyes are a dark brown, covered by hooded eyes. His skin is tan from a lot of time spent in the sun and I can tell that his skin is aging. It reminds me that he is older than my Mom. His brown beard makes him look rougher than he already is. Not to mention the tattoos covering his skin.

And he's gorgeous. He could be a model. I think he is actually. Why wouldn't he be?

Looking at him I see Bash in thirty years, his eyes still bright with kindness but his body hardened with steel from bad times over the years.

"And you are the youngest sister, Sadie?" My eyes meet his dark brown ones and in them I can see nothing but. . . kindness. "You look just like your mother did at your age."

I force a smile, not really knowing what else to do. I'm afraid if I speak nothing but incoherent sounds will fall from my mouth. Thankfully Quinn comes to the rescue.

"Oh Sadie," she exclaims, squeezing my arm with hers. "This," she says, pointing a boy standing beside Victor, "Is Benji."

He looks to be a few years older than I with close cropped brown hair, tan skin, and brown eyes. He's the best dressed out all of us, wearing a dress shirt and matching pants. Even without him smiling I can tell that he's kind.