Interlude

Tylers Point Of View

13 years ago

I'll miss this someday. I kept reminding myself that someday, I would wish my sisters were still this tiny, this innocent, this sweet. Someday, waking up at 2 AM to a screaming 4-month-old would be a fond memory I would wish I could recreate. And I knew in the future, it would be. But not now. Now, I was tired and angry, and wondering where my life is headed. Emma screeched when I stopped rocking her for a second. I sighed and resumed the motion. I shouldn't be the one doing this. I have two parents, and yet, here I am, solely responsible for their kids. It wasn't that I didn't love my sisters, and all the rest of my siblings, but it was just that it wasn't my job to raise them. Mom had no interest in the twins.

She had no interest in Finley or Logan either, and they were the ones who needed her. She couldn't give less of a fuck about the rest of us too, but we didn't mind. Jace and Henry had each other to depend on and so did me, Liam, and Nolan. We were making it work, with the five of us. But we shouldn't have to. I shushed Emma gently, walking around the pink-walled room as her whimpers began to dwindle. Mom wasn't here tonight. She'd left for work this morning, and hadn't been back since. She did that a lot since the twins were born. As if she was scared to be home, anymore. Maybe she was scared we would force her to be a mother if she came too close.

I had no idea where Dad was, but that was much less new than a Mom's disappearing act. Dad was always coming and going as if he couldn't decide if we were worth it or not. He was a good Dad when he was here, but a shitty man overall. Slowly, I set Emma down in her crib, but of course, the next thing that happens is Izzy starts fussing. I groan in frustration and rub a hand up and down my face as I reach in and grab the smaller twin.

"You need help?" I jumped a little when I heard a voice in the doorway. Nolan leaned against the frame, watching me sympathetically.

I sighed and shook my head at my 13-year-old brother. "No, I'm fine. Hopefully, she'll fall back asleep soon."

"She won't," Nolan said. I glared at him, but he just shrugged. "She never goes back down easily. Especially if Emma's sleeping." I sighed, knowing he was right. Izzy wouldn't be happy with me if I put her back down when even Emma wasn't awake to keep her company. I guess I should be flattered that Izzy would want to be with me, but we all knew she just didn't want to be alone.

"Fine, then I'm going to watch George Lopez while she doesn't sleep. And since you kindly offered to help, you can join me."

He shrugged again. "Fine with me." Nolan was always so easygoing. Sometimes I think if I told him to jump off a cliff, he would just shrug and jump, just for the hell of it.

"Hey, did Mom call or anything?" He asked as we walked down the stairs.

I shook my head. "How come? You need her for something?" Whatever it was, I could take care of it. I was doing a lot of that these days. And so far, no teacher has seemed to notice the difference in handwriting on field trip forms or behavior notices. The latter was mostly from Henry. The kid was going to give me gray hairs at 15. He couldn't go one day without 'disrupting the classroom' or something equally as petty I had to sign for. I hadn't said anything to him. He wasn't my kid, it wasn't my job. But someone needs to do something soon, before teachers start to ask questions I can't answer, like where our parents are.