XXI

EMMA'S POINT OF VIEW

I am not jealous of Izzy. I am not jealous of her beautiful eyes, or her effortless talent. I'm not jealous of the way she contracts everyone's attention when she walks in the room, without so much as an idea of the way me and my brothers adore her. I am not jealous of the way she is quiet and sweet and pretty, and everything else I wish I was. I am not jealous of those things.

But I am jealous of the way she walked into school and immediately made friends. Of the way she was accepted without the rigorous weeks of in-and-out that I went through with my own friend groups. I was jealous of the way she didn't seem to panic with every sentence, thinking it would be the one that ruined her life like I did. Her friends, the ones she had so effortlessly made on the very first day of school, weren't ready to cast her off with one wrong move like mine were. It was unfair, unprecedented, and wrong, and yet I couldn't help the flare of jealousy I felt when I saw her sitting with Lainey Hendrix and the rest of her group.

It's why I laughed at the stupid jokes my friends made. A bitter, uncalled for jealousy took over me just as it had the second time and that night at dinner. None of it was true. Not what my friends said, and not what I said. Izzy is not the walmart version of me. That's just stupid and I should have defended her. But I didn't. I didn't, I sat there and I let them say those awful things about my sister who didn't deserve them.

And what I said, oh god, what I said makes me sick to my stomach. Mostly because it's so far from the truth. Izzy is my family. God, she is as much my family as anyone else who witnessed my horrible words two days ago. And yet again my jealous and defensive nature took over me. It was no excuse. I had no excuse. And now I had no way to apologize. They would be back in less than an hour, and I still couldn't think of a way to make things better with my sister.

I had already apologized profusely to my brothers, who graciously accepted it. They knew how I was. They knew I didn't mean what I said. I had always been angry and impulsive. Me and Henry were very similar in that way, though I try to hide it more than he does. My brothers always try to give me the benefit of the doubt, even when I don't deserve it, but Izzy wouldn't be able to do that. I couldn't help but shake the feeling that I had ruined things permanently with my sister before I even got the chance to really know her.

A knock at my door pulled me from my thoughts. "Hey bubba." Liam poked his head in, a sliver of light hitting my tear stained face. I hadn't bothered to turn the lights on. I always preferred the dark anyway. The silence of it helped me think. I wiped my cheek, ghating him seeing me cry and looked up.

"Hey." I whispered pathetically.

Liam frowned and stepped inside, shutting the door behind him. "Em, honey, don't cry. Everything's gonna be okay." I shook my head, turning away from him. Liam's hand gently landed on my back. He and I had always been the closest of my brothers. It was ironic really. We were polar opposites, and yet he always knew me better than I knew myself. Liam pulled me into his side but I didn't fight it. I needed the comfort right now. I was usually not the hugging type, and actually hated being touched most of the time, but it felt good just to be held for a moment.