XIV

It's funny how we see people how we want to

It's funny how we see people how we want to. Before Marley died the people of Brinley only saw her as the girl who would give your kid a cigarette at a football game, or the person your mother warned you would turn out like if you didn't go to church and do your homework. But after she died, they all spoke of her like she was some angel. It made me angry that they only spoke ill of such an amazing person, until she died. After that she was suddenly the town's sweetheart.

They saw her how they wanted in whatever way pleased them. We all do that to some extent. Negatively or positively. I believe I have been doing that with my sister. I had only seen her how I wanted to. I ignored the bad qualities and embraced the good ones, almost desperate for her to be who I thought she was. But pretending someone is something they're not isn't a good thing.

It was the Friday before we were leaving for Brinley. Me, Tyler and Logan were taking the 10 hour drive there tomorrow morning and staying until after the Memorial Sunday afternoon. Logan was coming because he said he needed to get away from college for a while and this was the perfect excuse. I knew he really just wanted to be there for me, but I chose to go along with his sweet and slightly silly excuse. I hadn't talked to Emma since our conflict earlier in the week. Not that she cared. She made a point avoiding me since then. I chose to view it as guilt, but that may be too hopeful. Likely, she just didn't like my silence and sad glances. I wished she knew what she did. I wish she cared.

Walking through the school hallway, I was more than relieved that it was an art period. It had quickly become my favorite class, if for no other reason, because Mr.Fitz was very entertaining.

"Izzy, I am not your father." He said in a deep accented voice. I walked farther into the room to see him wearing a Darth Vader helmet with a red light saber in his hand.

"Morning Mr.Fitz." I laughed lightly taking my seat beside Gavin.

"Hey Fitz, you get that at party city?" One boy, Leo who was an amazing artist and very kind, yelled to our teacher. Mr.Fitz looked at him.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." He was hard to understand through the plastic grates of the mask. "I got it from my mother's basement." We all erupted into laughter, me with the image of Mr.Fitz digging through boxes looking for his halloween costume from when he was eight.

"Welcome to the Dark Side clones. Today you will be giving me your best Star Wars themed drawing. It can be anything you like as long as its..." He cupped his ear waiting for our response.

"School appropriate." We repeated with a few groans from some annoyed students.

"What? No. Since when do I care about 'school appropriate'." Fitz scoffed mockingly. "I was going to say, as long as it's cool." Some sighs of relief could be heard around the room.

It didn't take long for a focused silence to settle over the crowd, me very much included. I lost all awareness of the world around me, my focus solely of the scratch of the pencil against paper. I lost myself to thought so often, it was nice to lose myself to passion and focus. I didn't notice when Gavin began looking over my shoulder, or when Reid and Naomi joined him. I didn't feel the eyes watching me, until I heard Mr.Fitz speak.