II

I feel frozen

I feel frozen. Like the weight of it all was preventing me from moving. The officer told me not to move. Said he would be right back. So there I stayed, with my bag of things by my feet, and a blanket around my shoulders. Considering the blazing heat outside, the station was incredibly cold. It didn't help that I was sitting directly above an air vent but I seemed to have no motivation to change seats, despite my shivering and teeth chattering.

The lady at the front desk, who introduced herself as Ellen, had seen my state and was quick to give me a blanket which I was very grateful for. 6 months ago I was sitting in this very station after finding her. I was so hysterical I barely remember that day. I should be more upset today. I should be breaking down in sobs just like I did 6 months ago. But I'm still frozen. Just like my body, my emotions are frozen, unmoving, unchanging. The officer said they were looking for relatives but I knew they wouldn't find any.

My mother was an only child, and an orphan, I'd met my father once but unfortunately he passed away when I was 6, meaning I was most likely going into foster care. Contemplating my fate, I absently bit my lip as I did when I got anxious.

By the time the door to the station opened, there was a metallic taste seeping from the inside of my raw lip. A man with raven black hair and stormy silver eyes, dressed in a button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a pair of formal pants walked in. He scanned the room as if he was looking for something. Or perhaps someone. When his eyes met my green ones, I saw him take a sharp intake of breath. The eye contact became uncomfortable for me, so I averted my gaze to my lap, where my hands sat folded.

The tall man spoke to Ellen for a moment, before taking a seat beside me in the row of chairs. I could feel him staring at me and it was spiking my anxiety, causing me to bite harder on my already bloodied lip. "You shouldn't do that you know," He spoke softly but the air of authority was evident in his tone. I shrugged, casting an unsure glance at him. There was a spark of fondness swimming in the strangers eyes. Like he was looking at someone he had once loved very much.

"Isabelle, come with me please." I stood up, with my backpack, dropping the blanket on the seat when the officer called me. "Mr.Cane, please come as well." The stormy eyed man nodded, also standing up. 

"Wait, what's going on?" I asked in a hushed tone. 

The officer and the man both turned to me with sad expressions. "Isabelle has your mother ever told you anything about her life before your birth?" The officer questioned. 

"Not much, she was pretty secretive." I admitted quietly.

"Come along Isabelle. We have much to discuss." The officer placed a gentle hand on my shoulder, guiding me to a small room just off the front lobby. Sitting me down in a chair, the officer took his place behind the desk and the man sat beside me. "Isabelle, your mother was married a long time ago. Did she ever tell you that?" I shook my head making both men sigh. "Well, during that marriage, she had 9 kids." He paused likely, to take in my shocked reaction.

"And you Isabelle are the youngest of those 9 children." I looked up at the stormy eyed man who had spoken, the color drained from my face and my eyes as wide as saucers. "No. W-why would she lie to me?" My breathing became shallow and forced as I put a hand to my chest. 

"Our mother took you away when you were just 6 months old Isabelle. I wish I knew why but I don't. I'm sorry I can't give you those answers." The man put a hand on my back giving me a look of pity and what seemed to be anger. Although I could tell it wasn't towards me. "Isabelle, I'm your oldest brother." He said softly.

"Brother?" I mulled over the word, looking up at the man. 

He nodded and smiled sadly. "My name is Tyler. Its been a long time since we've seen each other. But now, we finally have a chance." 

I squeezed my eyes shut almost painfully as I listened to his words. I pushed the heels of my hands into my eyes harshly, physically restraining any unwanted tears from leaking out. I hated crying in front of others, especially strangers. It made me feel so exposed. People can manipulate you when they see your vulnerability. I learned that the hard way. "S-so what now?" My voice was curt and detached. If it wasn't, I fear the dejection and slight horror would show through.

"Well, as of right now, Tyler is your legal guardian so you will go live with him up in Maryland." 

I nodded absently, standing up. "I-I need to use the bathroom." I mumbled. Stumbling through the station, I opened the door to the girls room and locked it. My breathing was shallow and labored. Collapsing against the wall I pulled my knees to my chest protectively. It was too much. All too much.

Marley was gone. Mom was gone. I had a family. I was the youngest of nine children. Nine. Not two or three, but nine. Why did she do it? Why did she take me away? What could have possibly driven her away from her children?

I felt sick. The pressure of this all was making me physically sick. My stomach churned painfully and I felt bile rise in my throat. Hot tears stung my cheeks, as I hid my face between my knees.

The world was a cruel place.

No matter what I did it seemed to always be out of my favor, out of my control. I felt powerless in a world full of power.

The world was a cruel place, and it seemed to not be getting any kinder.

A/N-I wanna give her a hug. Poor Izzy. Forever a victim of fate and the way of the world