X

Some of us are born lucky

Some of us are born lucky. Some of us are lucky to be born. I believe I am the latter. So that's how I live, like I am lucky to be here at all. Yet, I sometimes find myself wishing for things I do not have, such as confidence or the ability to handle new overwhelming situations like starting school. It seems ungrateful to wish for the things you lack but it is human nature.

Sitting in the car, I could swear I was going to chew a hold through my lip by the time we reached the building. Nerves gnawed at my stomach, encasing my body more with each passing moment. Being a small town girl, I was used to the comfort of familiarity. It was rare to see any new faces in Brinley and I was certainly never one of them.

Of course no one else in the car shared my anxieties, seeing as this was nothing new for them, and in fact Fin and Emma were both slumped in their respective seats half asleep. Jace was driving silently, either not having anything to say, or respecting the silence that had fallen over us almost the second we had climbed into the car.

"Jace, what do you teach?" I needed a distraction until we got there. Something else to think about before I suffocate myself with worries.

"I teach 9th grade English." He responded, keeping his eyes on the road. I nodded. "You like to read Iz?" Jace thankfully engaged in conversion with me.

"I guess. I mean I'm more of an art or music kinda person." I was never any good at any core subjects, preferring more imaginative uses of my time.

"My friend Will is the 7th grade art teacher, so maybe you'll have him." He smiled at me through the revue mirror to which I gave him a small one back.

I was going to say something else, but before I had the chance, we pulled up to a large building that read HARLAN HIGH SCHOOL: HOME OF THE HAWKS

I gulped already overwhelmed by the sheer number of teenagers standing outside the building, gathered in large clusters that were bigger than my whole grade back home. I could feel my heart in my throat, as Jace pulled into a parking spot.

"Emma, Fin, wake up." Jace said, shaking both of them. My siblings groaned but lazily opened their eyes.

"Welcome to Harlan High school." Emma smiled tiredly at me, pulling her backpack onto her shoulders.

"Yay." I cheered sarcastically.

Fin laughed, "It won't be that bad kid, don't worry."

I sighed and stepped out of the car, grabbing my bag. I followed Jace and the other two inside the huge building, trying to memorize the way to the front office should I ever need to go there. There were so many hallways here.Each one looked exactly the same, giving me no way to even recognize where we had gone. By the time we reached the office, I had given up trying to figure out where we had gone.

"Okay, Emma and Fin go to class. I'm gonna help Izzy and get her to where she's going." Jace said turning to the 3 of us. Emma and Fin nodded.

"Bye Iz, good luck." Emma gave me a tight hug.