Chapter 18: Kits?

Falconblaze padded under trees, lush with green leaves and singing birds. In front of him was Dapplefur who was leading the patrol. Mistyflight walked behind, and Redpaw padded next to him. Honeytail's dark ginger kit had recently been made an apprentice alongside Wingpaw and Adderpaw, and Falconblaze had been assigned as Redpaw's mentor. Redpaw was gazing into the trees with large green eyes.

"The trees are HUGE!" he mewes. Falconblaze chuckled. The young tom had been born into Leafbare, and somehow the whole litter had survived. But Redpaw wasn't used to the forest being so green and thick.

"After another few seasons when you're big and strong you will thik the trees are tiny compared to now!" Falconblaze tells him.

"I'm big and strong now!" Redpaw protests. He growls and leaps up; catching a large green leaf.

"If you say so." Falconblaze laughs, shaking his head with amusement. Mistyflight pads up behind him.

"Can I speak with you?" She glances at  Redpaw.

"What? Oh yes! Er, Redpaw why don't you scout ahead a little?" Falconblaze looks at his apprentice. Redpaw nods.

"Yes Falconblaze!" Redpaw bounces ahead happily. Falconblaze looks at Mistyflight.

"So what's wrong?" He looks into her pal blue eyes with worry.

"Why does something have to be wrong for me to talk to my brother?" Mistyflight protests. Falconblaze looks at her.

"Because I'm your brother...?"

"Oh, fine! Fine!" She growls. "Ok so... I'm expecting kits."¨

Falconblaze's mouth drops open.

"You. Are. WHAT?" He stammers. His deep blue eyes widen with surprise. He knows he should be unhappy because of Brackenclaw but...

"I knew you would be mad!" Mistyflight mewes unhappily. Her blue eyes fill with sorrow.

"No! No! I'm happy! I really am! You're going to be a fantastic mother." He purrs. Mistyflight looks up.

"R-really?" she mewes.

"Of course." He licks her ear. "Of course."

Redpaw comes bouncing back, and Mistyflight hangs back again.

"Dapplefur says we're going back to camp!" he meowes. Falconblaze nods.

"I bet Wingpaw and Adderpaw are itching to get out of camp too. Why don't we run back to camp and you can tell them everything you've seen?" He smiles.

"Yes!" Redpaw spins around and runs. Falconblaze laughs and runs after him. It doesn't take long before he catches up and is able to run beside his apprentice.

It feels nice running throught the forest with no worries. Just two cats having fun, no responsiblities. his is how life was ment to be! Falconblaze purrs.

Soon the camp came into view, and the two cats slowed down to a walk. Redpaw headed staright to his denmates, but Falconblaze hung back. He still remembered the run through the forest, but now as a time he ached and longed for. The Clan brought so many responsibilities.

But I can't leave. Mistyflight is here, and she definately won't leave now that she's expecting kits. He sighs. He hoped it will get better as time passed.