Chapter 15: Hunting With Brackenpaw

Falconpaw and Swallowpaw come into camp happy and laughing. Their battle training had gone very well, and they were both happy that Windchaser had decided to take Brackenpaw hunting instead.

"I almost wish he had joined us, I would have loved to see his face when I beat him!" Falconpaw jokes. Swallowpaw teases him back.

"You? Huh! I would have beat him long before you even got a chance at him!" She growls playfully.

"Yeah? Hah! I beat you didn't I, so how do you expect to beat Brackenpaw before me?" He fires back.

"Maybe I let you win!" Swallowpaw retorts.

"How do you know any of you would beat me?" A voice hisses from behind them. Swallowpåaw and Falconpaw freezes, then they turn around guiltily. Brackenpaw had padded into camp with a thrush and 2 mice without them noticing.

"What? Oh! We were just joking." Falconpaw meows and shruggs. Brackenpaw isn't convinced, and looks at them with narrow eyes.

"Yeah? I don't believe you! Anyways, you would never be able to beat me. I'm twice as strong as both of you! Put together!" He scoffs. Then he walks away with his tail high in the air.

"Stupid furball." Falconpaw mutters. He and Swallowpaw pads into the apprentices den and after a long conversation, and some scorn from their mentors fro being too loud, they finally fell asleep.

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Falconpaw! Today you will go hunting." Bramblefire announces the next morning. Falconpaw shruggs.

"Sure." Hunting was no big deal. Of course he knew it was one of the most important things to do in a Cln if they were to survive, but it didn't bring the same thrill as battle training.

"And you will be going with Brackenpaw." Bramblefire added. Falconpaw looks up.

"But-" He stops himself. His mentor wouldn't like it if he started whining like a kit. Like Brackenpaw. He just sighs and mumbles "Ok...". Reluctantly he follows Bramblefire out of camp.

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Ha! Missed it!" Brackenpaw crows as a black bird flutters up into a tree. Falconpaw flexes his claws, trying not to leap on his den mate. They had been hunting for a long time, and even though Falconpaw had just caught one prey less than Brackenpaw the golden apprentice acted like Falconpaw was dumber than a mouse.

"Maybe it would help if you took 5 steps back?" Falconpaw growls. Brackenpaw looks behind him.

"But we're ontop of a cliff!" he protested. Falconpaw rolled his eyes.

"Exactly!" he calls back to Brackenpaw. The apprentice glares at him, but pads away. Falconpaw sighs with relief. He keeps hunting, and at last he manages to catch 2 more mice. He takes the prey back to camp, and is about to go back out, when he sees Mistypaw in the corner of his eye. He turns around to say hi but Brackenpaw comes to her first. Falconpaw veers off and sits down a few fox lengths away to listen.

"Hey Mistypaw. What's up?" Barckenpaw meows. Mistypaw looks up and smiles.

"Hey Brackenpaw! Nothing special, you?" she replies and blushes. The tom shruggs.

"I was wondering if I so\hould go out and hunt some more, but I don't wanna go alone." He says. Falconpaw narrows his eyes. That sneaky snake-heart! Tricking Mistypaw into ASKING to come so he doesn't have to invite her?

Hah! Brackenpaw would learn how to treat his sister...