Chapter 6: Gone Like Whispers In The Breeze

Falcon blinks his eyes open. The sun light shines unnaturally bright through the usually dense and dark forest. He screws his eyes up, until he gets used to the light. Suddenly he jumps to his paws and turns around.

"Wha-" He stammers. The forest around him isn't the dark, shadow and scary forest he had grown up in. This forest was green, light and cozy. Falcon hears the small prey scurrying around in the bushes. He can hear birds singing in the trees. "Where am I? Is anybody there?" He calls out.

"Do not be afraid dear, this is a safe place." A calm and soothing voice calls out to him, but from where? It seems like the voice is coming from everywhere! A bush rustles behind him, and Falcon spins around. He stands up straight and takes up a protective stance. Then he freezes. Where's Raven and Misty? He looks around with panic.

"Don't worry. Your family is fine. They are still sleeping." The voice tells him. Out from the bushes a beautiful golden she-cat. "My name is Goldenheart." She purrs. At the sight of the she-cat Falcon instinctively relaxed.

"My name is Falcon." He meows. He looks into her warm hazel eyes. "Am... Am I dead?" He asks, remembering Greyfang the tom from yesterday. Goldenheart laughs.

"No, dear kit. You are not dead, nor dying. This is simply a dream. But I have come to warn you." She says, getting serious. "Things will change, and hard times are coming. You have to be brave, for yourself and for your sister."

Falcon looks quizzically at Goldenheart. Does she mean Leaf-bare? There may be little food, but is that really such a big deal? He thinks.

"You are a strong cat Falcon. You need to be. Your path is a twisted one, but it will become alright... Everything will be alright... Alright... Alright..." Goldenheart's last words echo in Falcon's mind as she slowly fades. The forest spins around, making Falcon dizzy.

"Wait!" He calls to her. "I don't understand... Please stay!" He begs. But it's too late, and once again he wakes up besides Misty. He snuggles closer to Raven, but can't feel her warmth.

She must have rolled around, He thinks. but no matter how far he moves his mother isn't there. He opens his eyes.

"Raven?" He asks. No answer. He looks around. "Raven?" He calls louder. "Raven!" Still no answer.

His mother has disappeared.