twenty-three : drift wood

"What do you think that one's called?" Claudia's finger pointed up, following a jagged line of stars through the sky

"Drift wood." Embry's answer made Claudia laugh, her hand falling down and landing on his chest. "It kinda looks like this piece I saw the other day, it's totally drift wood."

"If you say so." She giggled. Embry's arm around her waist tightened slightly, and he nuzzled his face into her neck.

"You know, I think I like the way you smell now better than when you were human." He mumbled. "It's a little sweeter, a little...more fitting, I think."

"What do you mean fitting?" Claudia's fingers raked through his hair.

"Well you're so sweet, it's only fitting that your smell would match it." She giggled again.

"You're so cheesy, you know that?" She rested her head back, looking up at the dimming stars in the early morning light. "Or is it sleep deprivation? You really should sleep every night, Em."

"I don't need to, I'm fine." Embry pushed himself up, his face hovering over Claudia's. "Besides, do you really think I'd waste an entire night sleeping that I could spend with you? Right after I got you back?" He scoffed lightly. "I'm dumb, but I'm not stupid."

"Well, that's debatable." She snickered. "Even if my human memories are foggy, I remembered you most clearly. All of you. And trust me, you've done some real stupid shit."

"Fine, I'm stupid." She laughed again. "But I'm not gonna waste a second with you, ever again."

"Well I promise you, we both have plenty of time." Claudia raised her hand, resting it on the side of Embry's face. Her hand was almost like ice against his face, while his skin was nearly as hot as an open flame against hers. Embry leaned down, connecting their lips softly. Claudia melted into it, not hearing the sound of someone approaching.

"Oh god, please tell me you're not fucking over there!" Quil's voice called out. Embry pulled away and sat up, a scowl on his face.

"What do you want?" Embry huffed as Claudia sat up next to him.

"Sam wanted me to come find you two." Quil crossed the small meadow, plopping down on the soft, dewy grass in front of them. "Jake's gonna be fine, all of his bones are set but the doc said no phasing until he's totally healed."

"Thank god." Claudia sighed. "I don't even want to think what Billy would do if something really bad had happened to Jake."

"Yeah, right?" Quil nodded. "So, is everything cool again between you two?" Claudia nodded, and a smile spread across Quil's face. "Finally! Ugh, I was getting really sick of you always complaining how she hated you now-"

"Shut up, dude!" Embry's frown deepened, but Claudia just laughed. Quil joined in, and Embry pulled his knees up to his chest, pouting.

"Oh come on, Em." Claudia leaned against Embry, her arms wrapping around him. "You know I could never hate you. I mean, I did imprint on you too. I think we're stuck together at this point." Embry's head shot up and he looked down at her.

"You what?" His eyes were wide.

"Shit I didn't tell you yet?" She sat up a little, though one of her arms remained wrapped over his shoulders. "Yeah, the day I got back." She waved her hand lightly. "First time we locked eyes and all that, I'm sure you're familiar."

"Woah." He remarked, staring down at her. After a few moments, he began to lean down.

"Alright, before you two make me barf..." Quil scoffed, making the pair look over at him. "Let's go do something."

"Like what?" Embry asked, but an idea ignited in Claudia's head.

"Let's go to the beach."

———————

"So how his he?" Claudia asked, looking between Embry and Quil. "Did he take it well?"

"Oh yeah, Collin and Brady were super excited to phase." Quil nodded. "He's grown up a lot, honestly. He took the news of...what happened pretty well. Sam even let him come while he explained it all to your parents, said he was a big help."

"I just feel so bad." She frowned. "If I'd have just been here-"

"As far as I remember, that was out of your control." Embry's arm squeezed her waist lightly. "He's fine, so are your parents. Now that they know you're back, they're not worried at all."

"They know?" Both boys nodded. "I wanted to wait until I knew that I was ready." She huffed. "Who was it?"

"Billy." Quil finally found a rock that he liked, and moved a little closer to the water so he could skip it. "He got really excited when we told him you were back, I don't think he could help himself."

"I don't know if I can...can control myself yet." She sighed, leaning her head on Embry's shoulder. "I don't wanna risk it, I can't."

"Just go at your own pace, then." Embry's voice was soft, calming. "Everyone will understand that you don't want to rush, it only makes sense." She nodded, sighing. "What is it?"

"I feel like a freak." Her eyes averted towards the water, the waves lazily lapping up at the sand. "I can't...I can't be who I was, I'm not the same anymore. I don't even feel like me." Embry frowned. "I can't live at home, I can't hang out with you guys at Emily's, I can't go see Jake...I can't do anything. I'm not me."

"I think that you're you." She looked up at him. "You're not any different to me than before, Claudia. Not at all. And if you wanna hang at Emily's or see Jake, I can take you. Maybe not live at home until you're sure, but you're still you. I know that."

"Thanks Em." She smiled lightly. "Do you think Jake's up yet?"