twenty-nine : the rescue

You're being so stupid right now

You're being so stupid right now. Jake thought for the millionth time. If you get caught-

What? Do you really think Sam would try to kill me? Claudia scoffed, weaving through the trees. In case you forgot Jake, he can't touch me. Imprint, remember? That means he can't touch Embry, either. As long as Embry joins us, Sam can't do anything to him either. Besides, if we have numbers like this on our side, Sam would never attack, it would be suicide. Four wolves, seven vampires and me? He wouldn't dare try.

Right, imprint bullshit. He grumbled, a flash of Bella appearing in his mind. She rolled her eyes as she finally broke through the trees. She slowed to a stop in the meadow, not seeing Embry yet. This is still a terrible idea.

They can't do anything to me, Jake! I'm fine. She sighed. Now will you just go to sleep and get out of my head? I want a little time to think for myself, and at least Seth stays quiet.

I try my best! Seth chimed in, obviously happy with the compliment.

I'll sleep when you get Embry. He said. She sighed, plopping down in the cool grass. Feels like you need to sleep, too. How longs it been?

Over a week. She yawned. I'm totally crashing in Alice's room when I get back. Her bed is the best. Her thoughts wandered to the bed, and Seth groaned.

Man that must've been heaven. He sighed. Wish my mattress was that good.

Me too. Claudia agreed. A breeze moved past her and she caught Embry's scent, so she stood back up. He came out of the trees a few seconds later, and a large smile came across his face.

Please god, I don't wanna hear your thoughts about how in love with him you are. Jake fake gagged. Gonna make me fucking sick.

I think it's cute. Seth said.

Thanks, Seth. She nodded. Get used to it, Jacob.

"Hey." Embry smiled widely. "Alright, I hope this works. If it doesn't, you're gonna have to run, okay? I dunno what Sam would do if he figured out that you're here." She nodded. After a few seconds, Embry's body began to shake, and he phased.

Please work, please work, please work— Embry's thoughts flooded her mind.

Oh thank god. She breathed.

Yay! Welcome to the pack, Embry. Seth said excitedly.

Hey dude. Despite his earlier whining, Jake did sound happy to have Embry in his pack.

Fuck yes! Whew, I was really worried it wouldn't work. Embry sighed. Thank god.

Alright, I'm out. Jake yawned again. Seth, you got patrols?

Yeah, I'm great! Seth nodded. Sleep well, Jake.

Nighty night, Jakey. Embry teased.

And I'm already regret letting Claudia go get your dumb ass. Jake sighed. Let me know if we're all about to die, kay? Otherwise don't wake me up.

You got it. Claudia nodded. Jake's mind quickly faded out as he fell asleep.

Hey Seth, mind phasing out for like, eh, five minutes? Embry asked as soon as Jake was gone. C and I gotta talk.

Yeah, sure. Seth said, slowing to a stop. But I'm phasing back before if something happens.

Sounds good. Embry nodded. Seth phased out, and the pair were alone. I missed you. Like a ton.

I missed you, too. Claudia moved over to him, rubbing her face against his. One night is far too much.

I agree. He barked a low laugh. Come on, let's get moving. Least we could get off the rez before Sam finds us.

Follow me. She nodded, starting off the way she came. Embry trotted next to her, his tail occasionally swishing over to hit her back.

So, what are the plans for the day? He asked. Now that you've rescued me. She laughed.

Well, I also need to sleep. She said. It's been a little over a week. I'm about dead on my feet, at this point.

Oh, baby, you shouldn't go that long without sleeping. Embry said disapprovingly. Do you need to hunt too? Or are you okay?

No I'm fine. She shook her head. I can even be around Bella while she's drinking blood! Isn't that great?

Bella's drinking blood? Embry asked. I thought she was still human.

She is, but they figured out the baby wanted blood. Claudia said. And get this, Carlisle says it's gonna be a hybrid, just like me! Well, not just, but still. I mean, we're gonna be different because they're just born a vampire while I wasn't but I think it still counts. Carlisle figured out we both have 24 chromosome pairs, just like you guys, the wolves. That's why he thinks it's a hybrid.

Woah. Embry was doing his best to take in all of the information.

It's a lot, I know. She nodded. But I'm so excited! I finally won't be the odd one out anymore. Before Embry could say anything else, they felt Seth phase back in.

I hope I'm not interrupting. He said.

You're good Seth, how are things looking? She asked.

Fine, I've just been skipping rocks in the river. He said. You guys coming straight here?

Yeah, we'll be back soon.