twenty-eight : the vampire chew toy club

"I'll be back later, okay?" Embry said

"I'll be back later, okay?" Embry said. "I promise, I'll at least check in. I bet Sam's gonna keep us super busy."

"I'll see you later." Claudia hated the way the words left a bitter taste in her mouth. "I love you, Embry, so much." He smiled lightly, ducking down to kiss her. She savored the warmth of his lips against hers, and his hand on the back of her neck, knowing it would be a long time before she'd feel it again.

"Love you too, C." He pecked her lips one last time before jogging down the stairs and into the woods. Claudia turned back into the house, getting dressed and packing a small bag. She picked up the note she'd written while Embry was in the shower, placing it on the front stairs as she left. With a final glance back at the house, she moved into the woods to phase. Her run to the Cullen house felt normal, if not nerve-wracking, until she was nearing the boarder of the Cullen's lands. Like usual, things had been silent save for her own thoughts, but another thought popped into her head. It was only one at first, but it quickly became nearly overwhelming. Three different voices, all distinct, all familiar.

Claudia? Jake's voice was clearest. Is that you?

Of course it's her. This was Leah.

Hi Claudia! Seth's excited thoughts filled her mind. Are you joining Jake's pack, too?

This isn't a pack. Jake insisted. And it's not mine.

What's going on? Claudia finally managed to ask, feeling like she could almost see through their eyes. They were all running.

Right, you haven't been in a pack before. Seth nodded.

Not a pack. Jake grumbled. But I guess this is pretty strange for you, since it's your first time sharing thoughts like this. The trio of wolves emerged from the trees in front of her, and she could see herself through their eyes.

Like it or not, O fearless leader, but it looks like we're a pack of four now. Leah snorted. Welcome to the vampire chew toy club, Claudia.

This is what being in a pack is like? Claudia breathed. Jeez, this sucks. Are thoughts always so loud?

Unfortunately. Jake huffed. Fine, whatever, we're a stupid pack now. You two should jump back on patrols. Claudia, let's go back to the house and talk. I'm sure you've gotta talk to the Cullen's, too? Claudia nodded. Seth and Leah were off, and Claudia followed Jake back to the house. They moved apart to phase, and met up in front of the house.

"God, I hate being a wolf now." She plopped down on the stairs and he followed suit. "It used to be so quiet and peaceful, now I'm gonna have to listen to you three all the time."

"Why are you here?" Jake asked. "Like, how did you know we were here?"

"Embry told me last night." She explained. "When he told me about Sam's plan to kill everyone I...I knew I had to come out. Then he said that you and Seth had formed your own pack. I figured it'd all be the same as before, like with Sam, but I guess not." She shrugged. "Maybe I was always meant to be in your pack, Jake."