thirty : blood

Claudia felt herself wake up, though she chose to keep her eyes closed

Claudia felt herself wake up, though she chose to keep her eyes closed. Her head moved up and down with every breath Embry took, still fast asleep. After a few minutes of listening to his heartbeat, Claudia finally sat up in bed. She yawned lightly as she stretched out, eyes finally landing on the large, glass wall. It was the morning, dew dripping from the trees just outside the window. On one of the branches were a pair of birds hopping around and chittering at each other. It was rare to see wildlife so close to the Cullen's house, so Claudia sat and watched.

Embry yawned loudly behind her, just as the birds flew away. She frowned, watching them disappear behind branches. She turned around, seeing Embry rubbing his eyes.

"Morning." His hands moved away from his face quickly, and he smiled a big, sleepy smile at her.

"Forgot how good it is to wake up with you." He said, pushing himself up into a sitting position. He didn't waste any time in leaning over and kissing her, making her smile as they pulled away. "How'd you sleep?"

"Great." She nodded as one of his hands raked back through her hair, his fingers twisting themselves into the loose curls. "I don't think I've slept a whole night since I turned, it was incredible. I can't believe I used to do that every night." Embry laughed.

"Well I'm glad it was so good for you." He chuckled. A few sun rays began to move around the room, meaning clouds were moving. The largest one came through the branch that the birds had previously been sitting on, and illuminated the bed. Claudia's skin lit up beautifully, sending dim reflections onto Embry. "Beautiful." He mumbled. His hand moved from her hair to her upper arm, the backs of his fingers softly caressing her skin.

"Stop it." She chuckled. "Come on, I can hear Esme cooking."

———————

"It's a good thing we don't lie to each other." Embry's words made Claudia look up. They'd gone on patrol for most of the morning, even running out with Carlisle, Esme, Jasper, Emmett and Alice when they left to hunt. Now that they'd come back within the perimeter-and with Leah and Seth both out on patrol-they decided to take a break by the river and far enough away from the house to have some privacy.

"I mean of course it is, but what made you bring it up?" She asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Because we're in each other's heads now." He snorted. "Can't really tell a lie when you could just read my thoughts, now could I?"

"I never even thought about that." She chucked. "Bet that kept you and the guys pretty honest." He laughed.

"Absolutely not, but it gave us an excuse to fight and get some energy out." He shrugged. "Good time for betting too, who's gonna get hurt worse? Made some good money between Paul and Quil." His face saddened at the mention of Quil. She noticed and frowned, reaching over and taking his hand.