twenty-seven : wide awake

"God not having to think about school for another year is gonna be sweet!" Quil breathed

"Tell me about it." Claudia nodded, picking at her nails. "If I never have to go back to school again, it'll be too soon."

"That's not fair." Collin whined. Claudia looked at the other side of the table, where Collin and Brady had been tasked with doing their schoolwork by Sam. "How come we still have to do this?"

"Because you're thirteen." Claudia leaned forward against the table. "And mom'd kill you if you didn't do something."

"So stupid." He huffed.

"Muffins are ready!" Emily called, carrying a large platter out of the kitchen. Claudia's new phone beeped so she picked it up, looking down at the screen-her another thing Alice had forced upon her. It was Rosalie, and the text made her eyes widen.

Bella's pregnant, they're coming home. Don't tell the dogs.

———————

"So what exactly is this test for?" Claudia looked up at Carlisle.

"I'm trying to determine what the fetus is." He explained. "Humans have 23 chromosomes, Vampires have 25, and the Wolves have 24. If the assumption is correct, and the fetus is a hybrid like you, we should be able to match your chromosome count." Claudia nodded lightly. As Carlisle got to work drawing her blood, she looked off towards Bella. The house was tenser than Claudia had been expecting. Bella and Rose were constantly together now, with Edward glaring at Rose any time she spoke, though he sat stiffly next to Bella, looking as if he'd rather have been anywhere else. Bella was insisting on keeping the baby, and having it, but Edward kept saying that it would kill her. Bella didn't care.

"There." Carlisle's voice made her look back up. Her arm was already bandaged up and everything, she'd barely noticed. "I'll run tests on these tomorrow when I go to the hospital. Thank you, Claudia."

"Yeah, course." She nodded. She got up, absentmindedly walking back to the living room. She sat on the smaller couch with Alice, who was busy trying to see Bella's future. The baby, however, was making things a lot more complicated.

———————

"So what does that mean?" Claudia glanced back. The boys were busy playing soccer down the beach, and she'd moved away to talk to Alice when she called.

"We have no idea." Alice sounded annoyed. "I mean, I understand why I can't see your future-you're a shifter! But this thing, ugh! I can't see it, and I can't see Bella! It's driving me crazy. I'm getting a headache just thinking about it." She sighed. "Can you come over?"

"Like now?" Claudia asked.

"Yes, now." Alice snapped, and then sighed. "Sorry. I just...this is so frustrating!"

"I..." Claudia bit her lip, looking back at the boys. "I guess I could."

"Thank god, you're a life saver!" Alice sounded more upbeat. "We'll go hunting, I'll meet you outside!" The line went dead and Claudia sighed, snapping her phone shut and shoving it into her pocket. As she ran a hand over her face, she could hear someone moving closer to her. A breeze sweeping past told her it was Embry.

"What's goin' on with the vamps?" He asked. Claudia sighed again as she turned around. The look on her face made him frown. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I just..." She frowned, Rose's words echoing in her mind. She wasn't allowed to tell the wolves about Bella, no matter what. "Alice wants to go hunting, and it's been a while anyway..."

"Well go then." His smile returned. "I'll see you tonight."

"You sure? I feel bad for just ditching you-" She started, but he waved his hand.

"You need to hunt, C, don't worry about it." He said. "Besides, I've got these dipshits to keep me entertained until you're back."

"Alright." She sighed, letting him pull her into a hug. "I'll see you tonight."

———————

"It's killing her!" Claudia could hear Edward's voice as she approached the house. Alice was sitting outside with a scowl on her face, though her expression brightened as Claudia stepped out of the trees.

"Finally!" Alice breathed, moving across the yard in a second. "Took you long enough." She patted Claudia's head lightly, and Claudia huffed. "Yeah, yeah. Let's go. Wet dog smell is far preferable to being anywhere near this house."

———————

Claudia flipped the page of her book, a light yawn leaving her mouth. It'd been nearly a week since she'd felt tired, so the yawn surprised her slightly. She cuddled more into her blankets, pulling her hood tighter around her face. She was practically swimming in the pile of pillows and blankets stacked around her, with the added bonus of one of Embry's old sweatshirts to really insulate her. She wasn't cold, but she missed how warm Embry was. The fact that no matter what she did, she couldn't get warm without him annoyed her. Her eyes had just barely begun to close on their own when Embry's howl sounded through her open window. She sat up quickly, throwing her book on the end of her bed and hurrying out of her room. Just as she pulled the front door open, Embry was stepping out of the woods. Just like his howl had indicated, the look on his face told Claudia something was horribly wrong.

Embry didn't say anything as he jogged up the stairs, his hot arms wrapping tightly around her as he leaned down and buried his face in her shoulder.

"What's wrong, Em?" She asked lightly.

"Everything." He spoke into her shoulder. "Bella's pregnant. Sam's convinced it's a danger to us all so he wanted us to go attack the Cullen's, to end things before they started." Claudia stiffened in his arms, but he didn't notice. "And Jake..." His arms tightened around her. "He left. We couldn't hear him anymore, his thoughts are gone. Seth followed him, his thoughts are gone too." Claudia didn't know what to say, but eventually she got Embry to come inside. Almost as soon as they'd laid down, he'd fallen asleep. Claudia was now wide awake, though, her mind racing with her heart. She texted Alice, who confirmed that Jake and Seth had come to them and were patrolling the Cullen land, but they didn't think it was safe for the Cullen's to be out anymore.

Claudia stared down at Embry in the darkness, her fingers moving through his hair as he snored lightly. Her mind was made up, and it was breaking her heart. She'd had to leave, to go to the Cullen's. And, if it came down to it, she'd have to fight Sam's pack. One of her hands moved away from him, picking up her cell phone that sat on the nightstand next to her. She flipped it open, scrolling down until she got to the name she wanted. She pressed call, and after one ring, the phone was answered.

"Hello?"

"Alice...I need your advice."