twenty-six : slow dancing in the dark

"Alice, this feels like a lot

"Alice, this feels like a lot." Alice rolled her eyes, zipping the back of the dress up.

"It's perfect." Rosalie nodded, standing next to the mirror. "You almost look better than me. Almost." The three of them laughed. "And your hair should stay down. I was on the fence but I think it looks great."

"That's because I bothered to brush it this morning." Claudia chuckled, pushing her hair over shoulder as Alice moved back over to the vanity.

"Here." Alice picked up one of the small, white leather boxes that sat in a row on the vanity table. "No look is complete without jewelry, and I know you'll love this." Claudia didn't miss the small glance that Alice and Rosalie shared before Alice shoved the box into her hands. Claudia narrowed her eyes at Alice, but cracked the box open.

"Alice..." Claudia breathed. Nested between the back velvet interior was a beautiful ring, shaped like a tulip. It was pale yellow, a white gold band.

"Matches your dress." Alice smiled cheekily. "Now put it on, we have a few more pieces for you to gawk at, too."

———————

"And perfect." Rosalie smiled, sitting back. Alice had gone to pick up Bella, giving Rosalie ample time to do Claudia's hair and makeup. Claudia could've guessed that Rosalie was a perfectionist, but she hadn't known the full extent until Rosalie got angry with her for shifting a centimeter to the left while she was doing her lipstick. "Ah, I do such great work." Rosalie smiled down at her.

"Permission to move now?" Rosalie rolled her eyes and Claudia chuckled. "I'm taking that as a yes."

"That mutt of yours won't believe his eyes." Rosalie mumbled as she fussed with Claudia's hair some more.

"Could you at least try calling him by his name?" Claudia sighed, watching Rosalie move away towards the large mirror that was leaned against the wall. "It would mean a lot to me."

"Fine." Rosalie frowned. "Now come here, I need to see your reaction to my work." Claudia rolled her eyes again, a small smile on her face as she stood up and moved over to the mirror, trying her best not to wobble in the heels Alice had forced her into. Rosalie stood on the right side of the mirror, her fingers excitedly tapping the frame. "Ta-da!" Rosalie smiled widely when Claudia finally stopped in front of the mirror. Her eyes went wide, and she leaned closer to inspect herself. "Ah, you're perfect. My work here is done!" Rosalie swept past Claudia to the doorway, but froze and whipped around before she reached it. "Don't mess up your face! We might not have time to do it again."

"I wasn't going to." Claudia mumbled, but Rosalie was already gone. She turned back to her reflection, staring back into her still unfamiliar golden eyes. Lashes perfectly curled, a small swipe of eyeliner, rose colored cheeks, and a pale pink lip-Claudia had never seen herself look so pretty. She'd never been one for makeup, but it almost felt like she was looking at an entirely new version of herself. She stepped back a bit, examining her whole self, instead of just her face.