XVIII.

~ s i g n o f t h e t i m e s ~
★彡

JUST STOP YOUR CRYING,
HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE.

          DAWN RAISED AN ANNOYED EYEBROW AT PERCY, as he stuffed her hands with a packet of cinnamon rolls

          DAWN RAISED AN ANNOYED EYEBROW AT PERCY, as he stuffed her hands with a packet of cinnamon rolls. Yes, they were stealing a blind dude's food. But hey! if they succeed in their quest, at least they'll go to elysium. Hopefully.

The rain had turned into a chilly drizzle—well, chilly for Dawn. She had refused to wear Percy's rain jacket for obvious reasons, and was now suffering in the cold rain in a lace top. Percy noticed that the rain had darkened Dawn's chestnut hair into a deep, onyx color. It pressed gently against her face and shoulders, and tiny droplets of water rolled down her cheeks and onto her lips.

He found himself smiling a little when she secretly licked the rain off her chin.

Percy liked the feeling of laughing at Dawn's small quirks. Well—he hated it. But he also liked it.

Percy was just a confused ass kid.

"That man..." Hazel blurted while smacking the side of a bus stop bench. "He needs to die. Again."

"Men suck." Hazel nodded her head in agreement and linked arms with Dawn. They power walked away from the boys.

It was hard to tell in the rain, but Hazel seemed to be blinking back tears. Her long curly hair was plastered down the sides of her neck awkwardly. In the grayish light, hey gold eyes looked more like copper.

Dawn frowned and put her arm around Hazel's shoulders and brought her closer into a hug. Dawn didn't care about most people's feelings, but it hurt her to see Hazel cry.

"Hey." Dawn soothed while rubbing circles into her spine. "Hey, I'm here Haze. I'm always, always here."

Hazel sniffed slightly and nodded into Dawn's shoulder. "Yeah." They broke apart. "Yeah, I know. You're here to protect me."

"You can protect yourself pretty damn well, though. Remember those grass babies?"

Hazel giggled a little and Dawn breathed. Her frown loosening up slightly. "But I am here. You're my sister at this point—"

Hazel crashed into Dawn's arms with a smile.

"I always wanted a sister."

"We'll get him," Percy's voice startled Dawn, but she didn't show it. She knew he'd send her some cocky smirk. "He's nothing like you, Hazel. I don't care what he says."

She shook her head, still holding onto Dawn's elbows. "You don't know the whole story. I should have been sent to Punishment. I—I'm just as bad—"

"No, you're not!" Frank balled his fists. He looked around like he was searching for anybody who might disagree with him—enemies he could hit for Hazel's sake. "She's a good person!" he yelled across the street. Of course, it was deserted. Only pidgins flew away, startled.