Road to Escape

It was the next morning, I got up from the bed and walked towards the mirror. I caressed my neck which was still visible with the mark of Alex's hand.

I felt a tear roll down my cheek as I wiped it and walked into the shower.

I let the cold water hit my skin as I felt a sense of relief.

But I couldn't help but feel pity for Alex... he hasn't gotten any love from either of his parents.

But if I stay here any longer, I'm afraid I would lose my life. I can't depend on my dad anymore. I know that he can't find me because it had already been more than one week and my dad doesn't take more than 3 days to find someone's location.

Alex has perfectly planned this kidnapping... this place... it is almost impossible to find. What do I expect, he must've been planning this for as long as 10 years.

How can I escape him? Think Audelia... Think. What is his weakness. He doesn't have one.

I held my head thinking in the shower when I suddenly remembered.

He always goes out somewhere in the afternoon. It is the perfect time to escape.

Now, how do I escape? The whole house is surrounded by the woods. That day, I had taken the other way to try and escape. For hours I ran, but all I found was just a never ending forest.

Think... think...

THE SUN!!
I immediately closed the shower and walked out with a towel around my body as I put on my clothes.

I went down to the living room as I saw Alex sitting on the couch talking to someone on the phone. He still hadn't noticed me and that's good.

I walked towards the window where I spotted the sun. I know that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west so this will tell me which way is north and which way is south. If I'm in the Southern Hemisphere then it will be the other way round.

God I hope I'm still in Italy and not other foreign countries.

Italy is in the Northern Hemisphere and also in the Eastern Hemisphere... so the sun rises near the east and sets near the west.

Thank god I didn't forget all of these stuff. I looked at the sun and at my watch.

It's only 9 in the morning now. And the sun is on my east.

That means... I'm still in Italy. But where exactly?

"What are you doing there, princess?"
A voice spoke behind me sending shivers down my spine.

"N-nothing. I was just admiring the view of the forest."
I fake smiled at Alex as I turned back to the window afraid to meet his eyes.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?"
I could feel his hot breath against my neck.

I turned around to face him as I almost kissed him. He was standing way too close to me. I cleared my throat and took a step back. He was just staring at my every movement before speaking.

"Are you hungry?"

"Umm... yeah, a bit."
I looked down.

"I've made some breakfast for us. I was waiting for you to wake up so we can eat together."

"Okay, but can I ask where is Daniel?"

"He flew back to the States yesterday night. He'll be back after a couple of weeks."
Alex said as I nodded.

We had ate our breakfast and Alex had left for work. He is kind of nice today. He's probably in a good mood. And today is the first time that he's left me alone in the house. Other times, Daniel would be with me.

This is a great time and the only time for me to escape. I hope to God that I will find a way to my freedom.

I ran to the kitchen and took some knives with me in case I get caught and have to use it for self defense. I grabbed two bottles of water and a blanket in case I was lost again and had to stay the night in the forest. And lastly, I grabbed a torchlight which was in the drawers. I placed my backpack on my back and got ready.

I put on multiple layers of socks on my feet and covered them with plastic to prevent them from getting bruised or wet. I've learnt my lesson from the other day and I don't want to repeat it again.

And now, it's time to go. I slowly opened the sliding door in the living room and got out.

So this is the opposite way of where I ran that other day. This should be the right way.

I looked around my surroundings and ran into the dark woods as the sound of the leaves rustling and twigs breaking could be heard.

I kept running for about what felt as hours. I looked to my watch realising hat it was going to be dark soon and that I need to escape this forest as fast as possible.

My legs started getting weak but I didn't stop to rest because I knew that I wouldn't make it out of here alive if I took a rest.

I looked in front at what looked like as a never ending forest as I kept running.

The day slowly grew dark and before I know it, it was already raining heavily with thunder strikes everywhere scaring the life out of me.

I grabbed my torchlight and turned it on to see the dark forest. I should reach to safety if I keep on running forward.

The thunders and the sound of rain echoed throughout the forest as I got wet by the rain. I didn't lose hope even though it was a long time since I've been running.

Suddenly, a pair of lights moved from the left side of the forest. I think that's a car... the road.

I sped my pace up to the direction of where the light came from as I suddenly reached the road.

I sigh relieved as I had successfully escaped the forest. I grabbed my bottle of water and gulped it whole down.

I began following the trails of the road to what I hope would be a city.