Awake

Leonardo's pov:

I felt a soft skin brush against my skin but I ignored it and continued to sleep comfortably. That was only until reality hit me and flashes of memories appeared in my head. I shot Marco... I killed him. I felt my heartbeat increase in pace when I burst my eyes open before squinting them due to the bright light. I felt a sting in my abdomen as I groaned when someone or something moved beside me. My eyes grew large and I rolled out from the bed, causing me to fall off from it. My back hit the cold floor as I hissed in pain.

My vision was still adjusting to the light of the room when I saw a blurred figure looking at me from above.

"Leo? You're awake."
A soft voice spoke when my vision slowly became clear. It was her... my face instantly lit up and a small smile appeared on my lips.

"Audelia, I need... water."
I gulped as my throat was dry.

"I'll be right back."
She jumped off the bed and bolted out from the room. I slowly got up from the cold floor and limped towards the bed before dropping on it. I was exhausted, I had never been this tired. Just when I was about to close my eyes, the door opened once again. Thinking it was Audelia, I shrugged it off and continued to rest. After a long moment of silence, I finally got suspicious of the person that just entered the room. I could just sense them standing right there and staring at me.

I took a deep breath before opening my eyes slowly to look at who it was. My eyes glistened when I realised who it was. She was standing there with a bitter look on her face. I could just tell that she was weak. Her red and puffy eyes, her messy and tangled hair. She looked lifeless. But when she saw me, her face lit up as her eyes showed happiness.

"Mrs. Laura... i-"
I was about to say something when she rushed towards me and threw her arms around me, hugging me tightly. I was shocked at first but I played along and hugged her back.

She was refusing to break off from the hug when she finally broke down in tears.

"I've never been this glad to just see you wake up."
She chuckled as I could feel her tears wet my shoulder. She finally broke the hug before smiling at me with a relieved smile.

"Mrs. Laura... I'm sorry."
I looked down, avoiding her eye contact. How could I ever tell her that I killed her son?

"Don't call me Mrs. Laura anymore, son. I'm sick of that name... call me mom, would you?"
She asked as her eyes glistened with tears. A wave of sadness rushed through me and I smiled, whispering the word she had always wanted to hear.

"Mom."
Just as I whispered, the sides of her mouth lifted up as she smiled widely at me.

"Now mom, if you would excuse me. I have something that I need to do."
She nodded her head as I made my way out of the room and downstairs.

"Where is she? Where's my wife?"
I spoke in a harsh tone at a guard that was standing beside the door.

He immediately pointed towards the kitchen where I saw a woman standing with her back facing mine. My face instantly lit up in happiness when I saw her, prompting me to go towards her.

I went on tiptoe as I crept up behind her. She still had no idea that I was behind her. I smirked about to give her a surprise when my eyes shifted to something else beside her on the kitchen counter. A stack of papers? What kind of papers is it? Curiosity got the best of me and I quietly moved towards her, squinting my eyes at the papers hoping to see a word written.

But unfortunately it was covered by another  file. I was about to give up when my eye caught something. A word written at the top fo the paper that was fortunately not covered by the file. My smile slowly dropped into a frown as I read the word.

Divorce

Divorce? Divorce papers? My heart sank. I looked back at the woman who was still unaware of my presence. Millions of questions wandered through my head, why did she want a divorce? Did she not like this marriage? Of course she didn't, she was forced to marry me. But did she not feel anything for me... like I felt for her? I gulped not being able to handle the pain.

I was about to walk away when she suddenly spinned around. Her face lit up in surprise when she saw me standing behind her.

"Oh, Leo. I didn't realise that you were behind me. But now since you're here, here's your water... and your medicine."
She passed me a glass of water and a white pill. I looked at her back raising my eyebrows at her. Questioning the pill that she gave me.

"Don't worry, this is just the painkillers the doctor had gave me for you to take. Although if you can handle the pain, you can also not take it. If you want."
She smiled cheerfully and looked at me for an answer. But I could not speak a word... I was at lost for words. Her smile dropped as she looked at me in concern.

"Are you alright? Are you in pain?"
She immediately looked down at my abdomen and touched it without a warning.

I hissed at the sudden pain as I pushed her hand away. She flinched before immediately apologising.

"I'm sorry, I-I didn't mean to."
She was overwhelmed with guilt.

"Nevermind."
I clenched my fist and turned around as I walked away from her, swallowing the pill that she gave me. I could feel her stare on my back as I walked up the stairs to my room.

Audelia's pov:

I watched him as he stomped his way up the stairs. Did I do something wrong? He seemed really unhappy for some reason. I shrugged. Maybe someone pissed him off, I'm already feeling pity for that person.

I turned back to the kitchen counter as I saw the thick bundle of papers Bruno had gave me this morning. It was apparently from my brother, Andre. He knows how much I hate reading books and yet he still sends me 50 pages to read? Either he has something wrong with him or this bundle of papers are actually something important...

I was thinking about it when I saw a blue pill on the kitchen counter. Shit... I forgot to give him the other pill! I sigh. He is one heck of a moody guy, who knows what he'll say now. I rolled my eyes before grabbing the bundle of papers and rushing up the stairs, hoping for a miracle that he'd now be in a good mood.