First Flight

---

Before anyone asks, I just based Shadowflight's saddle after the saddle Toothless wears in HTTYD 1 minus the added bits like the stirrup used to move the tail fin prosthetic around. Originally I wanted Jim to ride bareback, but figured it'd be a bit too dangerous and our practical Trollhunter would want to use a saddle to keep himself from falling off midflight.

Also,  while my updates are far and few, I won't be updating anything as much due to now having a job so I could have some money in the bank and so I won't be sitting idle at home most of the time. So please no dropping comments asking when I plan on updating if I'm working five to eight hours serving food and having barely any time to write

---

"You know, I just realized something. We have never gotten to fly together." Jim comments one afternoon as he lays his pencil down and looks to the living room where his dragon is gnawing on a big plastic ball. Shadowflight looks up from his chewing to give him a puzzled look, now having his attention. "Like those past two times I got to ride on your back, but we never did any riding, unless you wanna count jumping high over things as flying. Toby told me he and Claire got to ride on your back, a terrifying but fun experience. Maybe one of these days when I don't have my duties to fulfill or homework to do, we can go on a little flight, just the two of us?"

Shadowflight perks up and gives an excited warble before getting up and walking to the backdoor leading to the yard and nudges the knob with his head. Jim gives a small chuckle before backing up his pencil again.

"No not right now, I have homework right now. Maybe...Saturday."

Shadowflight gives a small huff in annoyance before walking back into the living room and climbs onto one of the couches with a pout on his face. Jim gives a chuckle, knowing what the dragon was trying to pull and knowing too well not to fall for it.

"Saturday bud, Saturday."

Another huff of annoyance.

"Bud, you're not going to guilt trip me like you did a few days after returning from the Darklands by taking my lunch."

Shadowflight gives an annoyed warble, followed by another huff.

"Go guilt trip Draal, I need to finish this English assignment. I swear on Saturday, we'll do it when mom is gone and it's dark enough."

---

"You are way too eager for this flight aren't you?" Jim asks as his dragon wiggles in delight as the tanner is trying to fit the saddle on his back. "Hold still, Snok looks ready to tie you down to get the saddle on.

"Very tempted at this point." The tall grey skinned troll mutters as she blows a strand of hair from her face. "Alright, it's done. Took some liberties on the drawings you showed me from that book, removed the extra bits like the ones connecting the stirrups to the tail fin and added an extra strap that goes under the arms to avoid having the whole thing flop around."

"Oh that's actually a good way to keep me from falling off. Kind of thought this was gonna be like a horse saddle in the second reference I showed you." Jim says as he watches.

"Useless looking thing, how could a single strap keep an entire saddle on a pack animal's back?" Snok mutters as she finishes adjusting and strapping the saddle down. "Alright, have him move around, see how he likes it and if it's comfortable. If he feels it's too tight I'll just loosen it a bit."

Shadowflight turns his head to try and examine the object on his back before pawing at the leather straps around his neck and under his arms. He seemed confused about it, wondering why Jim asked this troll to put this odd thing that smelled funny. He looks to Jim and lets out a confused croon, but makes no attempt to try and remove it.