Talking

The ride back to the hotel was a bit more awkward, no doubt due to me responding to Tommy's profession of love by telling him we needed to talk back in my room. He was sitting silently beside me, hands folded on his lap, looking out the window, cheeks flushed pink. I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye, dying a little inside as I realized just how poorly timed my suggestion might've been. For all I knew, he thought I wanted to go back to the hotel to sleep with him. 

Eventually we reached our destination and he paid the driver, holding open the door and helping me out of the cab with a smile. He hesitated for a moment before grabbing my hand, holding it comfortably as we walked inside. I didn't bother to pull my hand free, I didn't want to. 

"Did you want to talk in my room, your room, the lobby...?" Tommy asked, giving me a questioning look.

"My room is fine, if it works for you," I said, and he nodded. 

"Of course that works," he said, giving my hand a gentle squeeze before walking to the elevators with me.

There was more silence as we rode up to the floor we were on, not exactly an awkward one but far from a comfortable one too. We moved swiftly down the hall, almost desperate to avoid running into anyone we knew, before at last I opened the door to my room and we stumbled inside.

"I'm sorry if I was too forward at dinner, I didn't mean to offend you or take things too far, I had..."

He faltered, face going red. "I had been told that you used to like me and I thought you still did so that's why I kissed you, I'm sorry if I crossed a line," he mumbled, and I smiled inside.

Eric, of course. Always meddling in my affairs to try and make life better for me. Had to love the little bundle of chaos. 

"No oh Tommy it's not that! I love you too, I really do, and I do want to date you, it's just...my father hates you. He hates that you wear his makeup and call yourself the Spaceman and I can't see him changing his mind about that any time soon. I'm just afraid he'll be upset if I date you, and I mean, I love him, I don't like him being disappointed or angry with me." 

"I understand. I'm sorry I've complicated things then, I should've spoken to you first before kissing you," Tommy said. "Thank you for coming with me to dinner, I really did enjoy it." 

He started to move to the door but I darted in front of him, nearly tripping in my heels, and of course he swooped forward and caught me.

"No, no, don't apologize, you haven't done anything wrong! And you haven't let me finish either. I want to date you, Tommy I really do, but we just can't let Ace know, alright? I'll tell him eventually, I just need him to warm up to the idea of you first, and then to the idea of us dating. And that means we probably shouldn't tell Gene and Paul, they might tell Ace."

"So you want us to be a secret?" he asked, putting a hand on my cheek and running his thumb across my skin. 

"Well no but kind of yes. We just won't...be super open about it, you know? We won't hide that we go out for dinner dates, but we won't announce we're dating unless they ask." 

"That sounds like something I can do. I'm willing to do anything for you," he murmured, kissing me. 

I smiled, deepening the kiss, twisting my fingers through his hair. 

"I love you," I said when we broke apart, and he gave me a wide smile, wrapping his arms around my waist. 

"I love you too," he said, kissing me softly.