A New Leaf

A/N: This chapter's picture was drawn by keigosbirdie on Tumblr!

~~~

It was no trouble making up your mind the other morning that you were to pack your things and move in with Hawks quickly and covertly to escape the ever-present threat of the paparazzi. Hawks had been a great help as usual, as you only had a few more boxes to go, but even more expected was he had received an emergency call when you were almost through with packing. His lighthearted expression had faded into a more serious one as he gazed at the ID. One hand pulled his visors tucked in his shirt to put them on professionally while his other thumb went to work to dial someone. After that fateful flight with a certain feathered disciple of his, Hawks knew there was only one person in this entire world he could trust with you.

"I'll call Bird Bro, he'll help you finish packing," he announced hastily before cupping your face and gracing you with a doting smile. "I'll meet you two at my place," he beamed. "Dinner's on me."

You couldn't explain why, but you felt the need to lean your cheek further into his touch, but he pulled away in a rush before you could.

~~~

"Where would you like this to go, miss (l/n)?" Tokoyami asked. Both his and Dark Shadow's arms stretched with piles of moving boxes up to their heads.

"Uh, just put them near the doorway. Or the balcony, I dunno." You spared a hand to wave him off without turning from unceremoniously shoving as many objects as you could into various boxes and trash bags.

"Why did you agree to this? Our internship with Hawks ended months ago," Dark Shadow expressed to Tokoyami behind your back, but loud enough for you to hear. His darker side was somehow less reserved than he was.

"Silence," Tokoyami lightly scolded his darker side. "This isn't for internship credit. If our former mentor needs assistance, we should be there to help, regardless of inconvenience."

Overhearing the discussion, you were almost offended by him unknowingly implying that you were an inconvenience. ""Well, I... appreciate the help, anyway. Even if it is against your will, guys."

At that, both Tokoyami and Dark Shadow puffed up in surprise and shame before turning to face you and bowing in humility. "F-forgive me, Miss (l/n). I didn't mean to word it like that."

"Forget it. Just a few more boxes and we can head over to Hawks' place, okay?"

"Yes, Miss (l/n)."

Dark Shadow then whispered to his host, even lower this time. "Are you not even going to question why this girl is moving in with our mentor?"

"You know better than to question him. He did stress not to mention this to anyone, after all. We should consider that the highest honor," Tokoyami whispered back. "Whatever the reason is, it must be important."

While lifting yet another box, a dark spot near the leg of your table caught Tokoyami's eye. "What's this?" He picked up a lone puzzle piece. "We missed one. Where did we pack that puzzle?"

"Just toss it in this box," Dark Shadow implored out of boredom while plucking the piece from his host's hand and dropping it away. "She'll find it and put it all back together later."

~~~

"Well, I don't think it's any secret that the mission to recruit out newest member ended, erm, unsuccessfully." Mr. Compress initiated the uncomfortable meeting among the small group of villains. Each of them took their own stance while huddled around the shoddy walls of the hideout. Hawks and Spinner were the only two to stand, the former shuffled and dragged his boots in place while the latter chose to lean against the wall, arms crossed.