Heartstopper

A/N: This chapter's picture I commissioned from dominaecaede on Tumblr <3

~~~

'Enough of this, Hawks!'

Despite the message being made up of code, it wasn't difficult to decipher the anger from the President of the Commission. Hawks stood before them in the vacant room, exchanging codes and looks to each other as to not disturb the careful surveillance in his wings.

Hawks received another message, decoding it in expert timing. He surveyed the stern yet professional voice of the message, all while the President looked on.

'Six months ago, you were tasked with a simple order - to discern the Quirk of a lone woman.'

Hawks stood there as he scanned the message, gloved hands tucked lazily into his jacket pocket, downplaying the severity of the situation.

'Your first report yielded no results. Then you claim to have found her, but provided no context for your findings. Then your most recent report states she is no longer at the residence on file. What have you been doing, Hawks?' spouted the message. At the same time, she slammed the report on her desk with just enough force to make her point. 'We should already be aware of this woman's Quirk, and the potential danger along with it.'

Hawks glanced at the irate woman in front of him, and at the silent but equally fed-up assistant, offering them a mere shrug as a response.

The President's eyes squinted in frustration, her darting hand busy at work with another message.

'Need I remind you of your almost perfect record of solving cases such as these within days, many of which were far more difficult to achieve?'

At that, Hawks remained motionless, his eyes travelling up to meet hers, their tense forms locked in a stalemate.

'If I did not know any better,' her message read, 'it would be likely that the reason for your unusual falter in the case is due to personal feelings that may have developed for the girl. What are you concealing from us?'

Hawks had to restrain his expression to maintain a neutral façade, but it did nothing to stop his heart from thumping powerfully at the words that had just been written in front of him.

'And what's more,' the message added as the President observed with a knowing look, 'Are those new piercings?'

He should have known he was only delaying the inevitable, and there were only a certain few ways this case could be closed, to Hawks' dismay.

His lids lowered as he responded through the same code, seeking to take attention away from her accusation, his message reading, 'With cases like these, there's always some danger involved. There is a reason for her to hide herself from society - I'll admit that much. Although, why the League is so desperate to recruit her... that part remains unclear.'

The president blinked a few times. 'A reason? Have you got something to tell me?'

Hawks then thought for a moment. It was to be expected that this part of the job wasn't going to be easy, but what Hawks wasn't expecting was the powerful blow to his chest upon even contemplating spilling the secret of your Quirk. But it shouldn't matter, the other side of him argued, if it meant tipping the fate of the world in their favor.

Hawks' hands balled into tense fists at the thought, barely managing to stop himself from stating it out loud.

'I'm afraid so. This Quirk has the power to bring things back to life.'

~~~

The sound of wind blaring through the window roused you awake as Hawks quietly scooted into bed. With a deep, sultry sigh, he settled stiffly under the sheets, trying to unwind. He kept up an impressive poker face, but his body subconsciously allowed a little leeway with showing his true emotions in front of you, evidenced by the clear tension in his body language.