Burgundy

A/N: This chapter's picture is beautiful fanart from Milochan on Ao3 <3

Also a slight content warning for suggestive themes up ahead!

~~~

It wasn't until the stars were well lit in the sky when Hawks flew you home, away from prying eyes. Dark clouds surfaced in the meantime; the unusual warmer weather allowed for refreshing droplets of rain to patter against your face. The entire way there your mind raced with the question you had been struggling to make known. As he helped settle your feet down in the living room, your hero took no time in crossing his legs and stretching his arms behind his head as he hovered in place, ruffling his feathers to vibrate and shake them dry. It took all your confidence to peer straight up at him as he peeled off his boots, looking him in his now curious eyes.

"H-hey, thanks for letting me bug you into teaming with me back there. About what I said earlier," you trailed off, eyes going downcasted and electing to fidget with your hands. "What I wanted to ask you. Well, now that I'm here doing it, it feels like such a stupid idea, with you being so busy and all. Heh, look at me, getting all choked up."

A strong hand raised to cup at your cheek with his thumb stroking it softly, as if he were sharing his confidence with you. "I know what you're thinking, and you know what? I should've settled this debate from the get-go," Hawks voiced softly and blinked. "Don't ever see yourself as below me. I'm telling you right now, you've got a hell of a lot more courage than I do. Whatever you have to say, I'm all ears."

Your cheeks flushed at his praise, a smile taking over as you squeezed his hand, head leaning into his gentle touch.

After a couple of seconds of watching you blushing, the seasoned hero inhaled and said in a much more serious tone.

"I may be rough around the edges, but you are never a waste of my time."

"You really think so?" you muttered with overwhelming emotion flooding your body.

Hawks chuckled sweetly, removing his visors before delivering a small peck to your cheek. "Take it from me. You're gonna be great at this, and I mean that."

Watching him speak with such strength and confidence, such genuineness in his words. It was everything you could ever need.

"I wanted to ask you... I have, I-I got this idea that I've been looking into for a while." Your hand slipped into your front pocket to grab a laminated slip of dark paper, just out of his view. "Something for us to –"

Your words lodged in your throat, noticing the painful expression on Hawks' face. Just before, his attention was entirely on you, though it appeared it was now inadvertently on something else. Seeing the effort exerted on his face prompted you to slip the paper back into your pocket out of concern.

"Whoa, hey, Hawks? Are you – does this, hurt you?" you asked and grabbed his hand to move it upward, evoking a pained, sharp inhale through his teeth.

"Ah, yeah, no, don't worry about it, baby. Just a bit stiff is all," he grinned while rolling his shoulders.

His charming smile did nothing to lessen your look of concern. It was no question that he had been exerting the hell out of his wings and it was killing his back and shoulders. Since he was built so slim, it wasn't any surprise that his wings pressed into him so vigorously.

"Come lay down," you beckoned, patting the open spot on the couch.

Wordlessly he complied, as if simply speaking sent slivers of pain throughout his overworked back and muscles.

"I've seen this before. Back at the hospital, remember? You did something with your wings to loosen them up, right?"

Hawks flinched and positioned his wings to face the opposite side of the couch to dodge your outstretched hand aiming for his feathers.