Too Far

"Hawks," the president of the Hero commission called to the winged pro hero as he struggled to remain quiet; his wings and arms were stiff, his keen eyes were sharply focused on her. "Three months ago, you were assigned this simple task – to gather intel on an ordinary civilian. Providing merely her name will not suffice."

"If these rumors are true that the League is after this girl then you must act more diligently," one of her assistants chimed in. "Your duty, Hawks, is to find out why. If it's a Quirk, decipher what it is immediately, using any means necessary. You are dismissed."

Three months. For three months, Hawks had been gladly finding himself in your company, and for three months, he had been mindfully delaying the inevitable.

As far as he knew, you were single, living alone, and doing an excellent job of tending to your own tasks. But from the first moment he met you, Hawks knew that you were special. As a high profile and highly accepted hero in this society, Hawks was entirely unfamiliar with the concept of rejection. He never had to try to get anybody's attention, nor did he ever seek it. But with you, the pro hero had been all too eager to get to know you, to work hard to actually earn your respect and acceptance.

But he was given an order to press for answers, an order that he must begrudgingly accept. For the greater good, he convinced himself.

The once vibrant and warm-colored autumn leaves this late in the season had morphed into a faded-out pigment of what they once were as the months turned colder. By then you had acquired a phone, not because you had friends, other than Hawks, surprisingly, but because he insisted on getting one for you. Before him, you had no need for a phone. You had no friends or family to keep in contact with, just how you preferred it, but he had graciously gifted you one and you happily accepted it – if only to get him to stop pestering you about it.

"Heh, no need to pay me back, chickadee," he winked playfully. "You can thank me by texting me back now and then."

That damned bird brain needed to learn to take 'no' for an answer. And what was worse, he had already added himself as a contact in your phone, to which he felt compelled to name himself, '(y/n)'s #1 Hero' and you had zero clue how to get rid of it. Oh well. You'd be lying if you said you didn't have use for it. There were actually a few games on it that helped to keep that debilitating loneliness from knocking at your door. Only downside is the Number 2 Pro Hero now had 24 hour access to bug you to death. He had no inhibitions when it came to texting you either, sending you weird and useless things like,

'Heya, just checkin' on ya, dove. How's it going? 😉'

Or sometimes it's...

'Yo! Check out this video of this stupid cat who tried to jump the table but ate the floor instead. Totally reminded me of you! :V'

You sighed. You had no idea how to process all of the unwarranted attention Hawks had been showering you in, for whatever reason. Though, despite this, your lips couldn't help but curl into a small grin or let out a subtle gasp every time that phone would vibrate on your table.

One stupid video he sent you once was actually so funny, it got you to cover your mouth and let loose a slight giggle.

Wow, that actually felt kind of... good.

Hawks on the other hand, had been trying his damndest to send you wellness check messages every day. He'd be left on read more often than not, but one day in particular, his personal cell vibrated while patrolling the city skies, and the pro hero almost dropped his phone in disbelief.

'That last video you sent me was actually pretty good. You're lucky I like cats. :3 I think that's how you make a cat face on this thing.'

Those simple words on his screen graced Hawks with the widest, brightest smile.