Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

(September 24, 2011)

1:40 PM

Nathan's Point of View

"Are we there yet?" Tony yawns and stretches.

I roll my eyes, "You're worse than my brother and that's saying something."

"Ugh you insult me, sir," He yawns again, "I felt like last time the trip wasn't as long."

I glance at my GPS and continue to follow the route, "Well, you did have a cute baby to distract you and traffic wasn't as bad."

"I can't wait to see Matthew again. You think he'll be a chubby baby?"

I smile, "Maybe. Hopefully, this visit will be a lot different from last time."

Tony's joking demeanor disappears briefly, "I just... have a hard time believing Lucca got caught up in that. I need to hear it for myself. It's too... "

"Crazy?" I offer.

"Crazy is definitely one way to describe it."

I nod, "We're like another fifteen minutes out."

Tony nods and reaches over to turn up the radio. Last Friday Night by Katy Perry starts playing for like the third time this day throughout the trip. Tony jams out like no one is watching and it's fun to watch him out of the corner of my eye. I think he's just doing his best to entertain himself and it helps keep me awake too. It almost takes away from the seriousness of this trip.

Tony came back a week after the start of the new school year. I almost didn't recognize him; he got a lot tanner, taller, and grew a bit of a beard... I don't know about it...

I remember when I first explained to Tony why Lucca was MIA, he was just as upset as I was. It took us a while, but we finally were able to make time to drive to Malibu. Tony was busy with photography gigs and I was busy with being captain of the soccer team. Thankfully, this was a Saturday we were finally free. I'm just hoping that luck is on our side today, Lucca finally returned home.

Finally, I pull over in front of the familiar Malibu home and look over at Tony.

"You ready?" I ask.

He nods, "Hell yeah! Time to prove your ass was hallucinating from the hot Mexican sun," He grins playfully and exits the car.

I shake my head and follow right behind him. At least he's making light of the situation.

Once we're at the door, Tony rings the doorbell once and we wait for a few minutes until we see a figure approaching the door. The figure opens the door and it's Lucca's uncle, Richard, again. His face fell briefly when he saw us, but went back to a small smile.

"Hello again, it's been awhile. How have you boys been?"

"We-" I start, but Tony quickly interrupts me.

"Doing good! Just focusing on school. Speaking of which, I noticed Lucca isn't in school. Is he doing okay? How's his baby doing?" Tony asks, keeping focus on Lucca's uncle.

"Well... I'm surprised your friend hasn't filled you in-"

"He did, but I just find it super hard to believe you know? Lucca and I were like this," Tony crosses his fingers, "Throughout the year.  He had really big dreams when it came to providing a good life for Matthew and himself. It's just such a shock to me that such a smart, hardworking guy like that would be stupid enough to throw all that away. I had to hear it for myself because like I said- the news was such a bombshell!" Tony chimes with an almost too friendly smile.