4. The Last Stand

A few hours later the pitch black of night had fallen.  Alaina was sitting in the rocking chair this time with her arms protectively around little Harry.  Lily and James were sitting on the couch watching television.  The house was eerily quiet.  Alaina looked down at Harry, her heart swelling with warmth.  One of these days she was going to have a baby of her own with a man she loved more than anything in the world.  She smiled at the thought.

"Are you okay back there?" James asked glancing back at her.  "You're awfully quiet."

"I'm fine," Alaina answered, her voice barely above a whisper.  She didn't want to wake Harry.  "I'm just watching him sleep."

"It's peaceful, isn't it?" Lily asked.  "Just knowing he feels safe."

"Yeah, it is.  I can see why you wouldn't ever want to leave the house with this little tyke around."

"You should see him in the morning when I get him on his broom," James said proudly.  "He's definitely going to be a flying pro just like his old dad."

Lily and Alaina both laughed.

"He has a broom?" Alaina asked in disbelief.

"Yeah.  Sirius got it for him," James said.  "It was a present for his first birthday.  It's really tiny, good for years 1-4 I think."

"I didn't even know they made them that small," Lily told her.  "Not until he came in here with it."

"Did you flip?" Alaina questioned.

"I was a little freaked out about letting him ride it at first."

"A little?"  James chuckled.  "She threw a fit."

Lily's cheeks flooded with color.  They always did whenever she got mad or embarrassed, and because of her fair skin, the color was a bright red.  

"I was just afraid he was going to get hurt," she said defensively.

He grinned as he leaned over and kissed her on the cheek.  "I love that color on you, dear."

She rolled her eyes with a smile on her lips.  "Thanks," she said sarcastically.

Alaina smiled as they shared a more appropriate kiss for two people in love.  She playfully put her hand over Harry's eyes.  When they pulled apart, she called their attention to it and they both laughed.  Once the laughter died down, Alaina stood up.

"I think I'm going to take him upstairs," she announced.  "Anybody want to kiss him goodnight?"

Lily and James both got to their feet and kissed their son lovingly on the head and the cheek.  It was a beautiful scene for Alaina to see her nephew was so loved.  It made her want to cry tears of joy for some strange reason.

Suddenly a loud creak captured their attention.

"What was that?" Lily asked fearfully.

James held his index finger up to his lips.  "It sounded like the front gate."

"Sirius must be back," Alaina commented.

James tiptoed hurriedly over to the window.  There was a cloaked figure heading toward the front door.  The skeleton mask was unmistakable.  It was him.  Lord Voldemort had finally found them.  All color drained from his face.  He whirled around.

"It's him, Lily!  He's here."

"Voldemort?"

James ran over to her.  "Yes.  Take Harry and Alaina and go upstairs.  I'll hold him off!"

"James, no!  I don't want to leave you."

He grabbed her firmly by the shoulders.  "Lily, you have to protect Harry.  I love you.  Go!"