96. The Exchange

Severus took a deep breath. He and the six others who looked like him, were standing at the gates to Malfoy Manor. They all had their tasks, once they got inside, and all of them were ready. All except for Severus. He was extremely nervous. This plan had seemed like a really good idea at the time, but now that he was here, he wasn't sure it was going to work. None of these people really knew him, with the exception of Alaina. She would probably be the only one to be able to fool Voldemort into thinking she was him. That's why she was going to be the one to face him. That's the reason he was so nervous. If he discovered the secret, he would kill her without mercy.

"Why are we stopping?" an impatient Sirius asked. "Let's get on with it."

"Keep your robes on, Black," Severus hissed. "I'm trying to think."

"Uh oh," he quipped.

"Don't start, you two," Remus interrupted. "We're about to go into the most dangerous place in existence."

They glared at one another, but said nothing. They both knew he was right and they were just nervous. Alaina walked up to Severus and took his hand. It was strange to be holding, what seemed to be, his own hand.

"It's going to be okay. Let's go."

Severus gave her a nod and then they walked through the wrought iron gate together. Sirius, Lupin, Ron, Hermione, and Dumbledore followed. The other members of the Order stood and waited. With a wave of his wand, Severus opened the gates for them, and they walked through. Tonks had come, along with Kingsley, Molly, Arthur, Minerva, and Alastor Moody. They figured they would need a lot more than that, but it was a start. They had the element of surprise, and they hoped that would continue to be to their advantage.

Severus pointed Alaina up the stairs. He knew that's where Voldemort would be. Dumbledore, Sirius, and Lupin followed. The Order members came in with them, but stationed themselves in different places according to Severus's silent instruction. Once everyone was where they were supposed to be, Severus ventured off to the basement. He knew that was where Harry was being held and he wanted to get him out of there first thing. He wanted to get him to safety before things got too out of hand.

He hurried, as quietly as he could, over to the basement door. He used his wand to unlock the door. He went cautiously down the steps, afraid of what he might find down there. He got to the bottom step and drew his wand. He lit the tip of it and walked inside.

Harry was as far up against the wall as he could get. He had no idea who had just came down into the basement. That is, until he saw the tip of the wand light up. A relieved smile spread across his face.

"Severus!"

Severus whirled around at the sound of Harry's voice. Harry came out of the shadows and ran up to him. He threw his arms around his waist and squeezed him tightly. He thought he might never see him or his mother again.

"Harry, I'm so glad you're okay."

"You can't give yourself up."

"I'm not. I'm not alone here, Harry. The Order is here with me. This ends here and now."

Harry smiled. "I was hoping you would say that. Or something like that. I think if we get the diary upstairs, just outside the basement door, and destroy it somehow, then Voldemort will be weakened."

Severus frowned in concentration. "He probably would. Listen, Harry." Alaina was going to kill him for doing this, but he needed to know. Besides, she agreed that it should be his choice. "Voldemort has made Horcruxes. He has hidden bits of his soul in two places. One is the diary and the other one is...you."