64. Escape

It didn't take Alaina, Harry, and Severus long to get settled in once they arrived home. Alaina helped Severus up to her bedroom and made him comfortable. He tried to protest, but she made him promise not to move unless his life was in danger. He was reluctant to agree at first, but she leaned down and gave him a long kiss and he couldn't help but agree. He stayed there for a solid week before she would let him get up other than bathroom breaks and showers. She slept right beside of him every night. Once he was healed pretty well, he spent only a few more night at the house before he insisted on making the trip to Spinner's End.

"I don't understand why you have to go back him, Severus," Alaina complained. She, Severus, and Harry were all sitting casually on the couch. He had called them down to the living room so he could tell them he would be leaving.

"I simply can't impose on you any longer," Severus told her. "Not in this way. You have been amazing to me and I love you, but there are things I need to do at home."

"Like what?"

He shrugged. "Clean, brew potions for next term, things like that."

"You can do all of that here."

"Alaina, I would love to stay, you know that."

"If you would love to stay, then you would stay."

He sighed. This was getting him nowhere.

"Are you tired of us already?" Harry asked out of the blue. He had been quiet up to the point and just let the two of them talk, but he could hold his tongue no longer.

Severus looked over at him, his features soft. "Of course not, Harry. I just don't want to trouble the two of you any longer. I feel like I may have over stayed my welcome despite the fact that your mother and I are dating."

"You're not troubling us. Is he, Mum?" Harry looked over at Alaina, his eyebrows raised, waiting patiently for an answer.

"No," she said finally, glaring at Severus "Not at all."  She sighed. "Harry, will you go upstairs and let us talk for a moment in private?"

Harry nodded. He knew that this wasn't going to be good. His mother had that annoyed tone in her voice, and when she sounded like that nothing good came of it. "Of course."

Severus sighed loudly as Harry ran up the stairs. He had a feeling that the conversation that was about to take place was going to be heated. Once Harry was completely out of sight and Alaina heard his bedroom door click into place, she spoke.

"Severus, I didn't want Harry to hear your answer to the question I'm about to ask you. Obviously. I know you're anxious to leave, but why?"

"I just-"

"You're not fooling me, you know. You don't want us to get hurt and you think that by staying here that you will put us in danger."

He looked up at her, guilt written all over his face. "You're safer without me here."

"We've already talked about this. Well, sort of. I'll feel better if you stay here with me."

"You can't keep treating me like a king, Alaina. I've done nothing to deserve it."

"You've loved me back. That's enough for me."

"Alaina, I couldn't bear it if I was the cause of your death or Harry's."

"I can take care of myself and my son."

"As can I, and I happen to think that this is the best way to do it."

"Severus Snape, you are an impossible stubborn man!" Alaina yelled. She could feel herself getting frustrated. Maybe even a little angry.

Severus let go of her hand and stood. "There are Death Eaters everywhere and right now Voldemort is undoubtedly collecting followers to fight the war we all know is coming just like he did before. Any one of them could show up on your doorstep and kill either one of you, especially if they find out you've been harboring a traitor."