27. See Me After Class

As the Gryffindor Quidditch team came out of the stadium, Alaina was waiting there for Harry.  They were in high spirits because they had just won the game and she was just as happy as they seemed to be. 

Severus waited there with her, although he didn't really relish the thought of seeing the victors after such an embarrassing game against his own house.  He had to admit Harry was a good Seeker though.  It had surprised him.  A lot about Harry Potter had surprised him at the game and what he had learned about his childhood had the most impact.  He watched Alaina intensely.  Her face brightened when Harry came into view.  He was hard to miss riding on the shoulders of Gryffindor's Beaters, the Weasley twins.  Fred and George hoisted him easily above the rest of the team.  They put him down when they noticed Severus looking their way.  They nodded to Alaina as they passed and hurried toward the castle.  Severus wasn't surprised.  He had that effect on most people.

Harry ran up to Alaina, the excitement of his house's victory still on his face.  "Did you see how I caught the snitch?" he cried.  "It was amazing!"  He was talking as fast as he could form words.  "My heart was beating so fast I almost threw up before I caught it in my mouth.  The snitch doesn't really taste all that good, but I'm so glad I caught it.  I love Quidditch!"

"Whoa," Alaina said.  "Slow down.  You're going to get yourself too worked up."

"Never, Mum," he said with a grin.  "At least my nerves are calmer now.  I was so afraid I was going to mess up and everybody would laugh.  I thought I was going to hurl big time."

"I thought you were going to be sick as well," Severus spoke up.

Harry's smile faded.  He hadn't noticed his Potions professor there until he spoke.  "You watched me play?"

Snape looked incredibly bored by his question.  "I watched the game, Potter."

"Right," Harry said.  It was stupid of him to think Snape cared what he did.  He hated him.  He let go of Alaina and stood there awkwardly.  "I was a little shaken by the broom acting up though."  He glanced sideways at Snape.

Severus stared back at him.  Harry seemed to be waiting for some sort of response, but why?  It was almost as if he was silently accusing him of something.  They were still looking at each other when Ron and Hermione ran up to Harry.

"That was wicked!" Ron exclaimed.  He didn't seem to realize he had just interrupted something.  "Even though Snape tried to ruin it."

Harry's eyes widened and Hermione's, too.  Ron winced when he realized Snape was standing there, a murderous look on his face.  He gulped.

"It's Professor Snape to you, Mr. Weasley," he growled.  "I'm not sure what you think I ruined.  After all, Gryffindor won."  Severus turned to Alaina.  "I'll let you talk to them."  He laid his hand on her shoulder.  "I'm going to retire to my office.  If you need me for anything that's where I'll be."

Alaina nodded and smiled at him.  She hated that all the students had such a negative attitude toward him.  If they knew half the things he did for her the night her sister died they would certainly think differently of him.  They would see him exactly as she did: a good man with a good heart.  "I'll see you later."

He nodded and walked away.  She watched him go, wondering if what Ron had said hurt his feelings.  She faced the children as soon as he was out of sight.

"You guys should really watch what you say around people," Alaina told them.  "You could hurt someone's feelings."

They all looked at each other, but not one of them said anything for several seconds.  Then Hermione spoke.