46. Mudblood

Harry woke up at dawn the next morning. He had Quidditch practice bright and early. Hermione and Ron were going with him to sit in the bleachers and watch. Hermione wanted to get a little early morning studying done anyway. They had already gone outside and were waiting on him to pass. He had to go and meet the rest of the team so they could all go out to the Quidditch pitch together.

"I've devised a whole new program," Oliver Wood was saying as they walked out to the field. "We're going to train earlier and harder." Suddenly silence overtook him. "Oh I don't believe it."

Harry looked in the direction Wood was turned and saw what the problem was. The Slytherin Quidditch team was heading out to the Quidditch Pitch too. He swallowed. This wasn't going to be pretty. He hadn't seen Oliver mad before, but he had heard his tantrums could be fierce. He looked a little to the left and saw Ron and Hermione sitting on the bench waiting. He nodded in their direction and they returned the gesture with grim expressions on their faces.

"Where do you think you're going, Flint?" Oliver asked. He was talking to the captain of the Slytherin team. "I booked the Pitch for Gryffindor today."

"Easy, Wood," Flint said. "I've got a note."

Oliver snatched it from his hand and read it. It was from Professor Snape. Harry was so busy trying to crane his neck to read it that he didn't notice that someone else had just happened upon their small confrontation. Alaina stared at the situation at hand. As long as no one aimed to injure, she would just be a silent bystander.

"Professor Snape. That figures. Says that you have a new Seeker. Who is it?"

Much to Harry's dismay, Draco Malfoy stepped forward. His mouth dropped open in shock. "Malfoy?"

"That's right," Draco said. "And that's not all that's new this year." He lifted his broom off the ground.

That's when Harry noticed not just his broom, but every one on their team had new ones. Ron and Hermione got up off the bench and came over to join their house team.

"I smell trouble," Ron said.

Hermione nodded. They stopped just off to the side.

Ron's eyes widened. "Those are Nimbus 2001's. Where did you get those?"

Flint flashed him a smug grin. "They were a gift from Draco's father."

Draco looked please with himself. "You see, Weasley, unlike some my father can afford the best."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in. They got in on pure talent."

He stepped forward. That comment had made him angry. "No one asked for your opinion. You filthy little mudblood."

Hermione's pain was palpable. His words had obviously hurt her. She looked like she was about ready to cry, but Harry had no idea why. Ron must have though. Harry had never seen him draw his wand so fast.

"Eat slugs!" Ron cried.

Before anyone could stop him, the curse hit Malfoy right in the chest. He flew backwards with a "green" look on his face. He sat upright and rolled over on the ground. Harry thought he was going to throw up, but a giant slug came out of his mouth instead. Alaina ran up to the crowd.

"What on Earth happened?" she asked.

Everyone froze when they realized a teacher was among them, everyone but Harry. He spilled out every detail.

"I saw what happened, but I couldn't hear what was being said," she told him.

Harry frowned. "Malfoy called Hermione a...well, I don't want to say it because I don't know what it means."