34. Fluffy's Secret

Severus kept a watchful eye out for trouble on patrol that night, but nothing happened. The night was eerily silent and Quirrell never left his quarters. He checked the forbidden third floor repeatedly, but nothing happened. No one tried to get the Sorcerer's Stone. The peacefulness baffled him, not that he wanted anything to happen, but it was unusual, especially with the Headmaster out of the castle. He was sure if Quirrell tried anything it would be while Dumbledore was out. Of course, this was just the first night. There were two more to go. He walked by Quirrell's office once more to be certain nothing had changed and then he went back to his own quarters. The vision he had seen in the Mirror of Erised danced in front of his eyes the moment he fell asleep. Alaina dominated his dreams that night.

When Severus opened his eyes it was morning. He hadn't moved from his bed or turned over once during the night, which was unusual. He got up, got dressed, and went straight out the front doors to get a little fresh air. He was surprised to find Harry and his friends all dressed in their school robes walking down toward the Forbidden Forest. Frowning, he followed them.

"There's some way to get past that thing," he heard Ron say.

"There has to be," Hermione agreed. "I just hope we can find out what it is."

"Well, if he knows, Hagrid will tell us," Harry assured them. "He has been the one to fill in the blanks so far."

"I just hope he's up."

They continued to walk, unaware Severus had overheard them. He stopped and watched them walk the rest of the way to their destination. His frown was constant as he wondered why on Earth they would be going to Hagrid's. He made a mental note to keep a close eye on the three of them for the remainder of the day and then went back inside the castle.

Down at Hagrid's Hut, Harry, Ron, and Hermione waited patiently in the pumpkin patch. Hagrid had told them he would be out in a minute and to wait outside. Although they were curious about what he might be doing, they stood there like he told them to, talking among themselves.

"We have to know the secret to that dog," Harry declared.

"So what's the plan?" Ron asked.

"Well, Hagrid will tell us about anything. Let's get him talking about something and then just casually mention Fluffy."

Hermione frowned. "Do you really think he'll tell us?"

Harry nodded. "Probably without even realizing it."

Hagrid finally opened the door and came out to join them. "I can't stay long," he announced. "Dumbledore has a job an' it's a bit on the sensitive side. What is it yeh three want te talk about?"

Harry, Ron, and Hermione looked at each other.

"Animals," Harry answered. "What kind of animals do you look after, Hagrid?"

He rubbed his chin. "Well that's easy. I usually specialize in the strange ones. I like a bit o' mystery in 'em. Like Fluffy."

Hermione took over. "But how do you tame them, Hagrid? It must be hard."

"It is," Hagrid agreed. "The only thing about taming a beast is te know how to calm him. Take Fluffy for example. Play him a bit o' music and he goes right to sleep."

Ron, Hermione, and Harry all gasped simultaneously. They didn't think the revelation would happen this soon or be so easy to extract.

"Thanks, Hagrid!" Harry shouted excitedly. He threw his arms around him.

"Here now, what's all this fer?"

He grinned. "You told us what we wanted to know. Now we have to be getting to class. We don't want to be late."