65. Big Black Dog

Alaina felt so...warm. She was laying under the covers right up against Severus and he had his arm draped protectively around her. It was the way they had fallen asleep the night before and neither of them had so much as turned over the whole night. It was one of the best nights of sleep she had gotten in a long time. Every time she slept beside of him she felt safe, like nothing in the world could hurt her. She was invincible with him by her side.

She glanced up at him. Severus's eyes were still closed. He looked so peaceful lying there. It reminded her of the first time she had seen him in bed when Harry was just a baby. She ran her hand lightly down his bare chest remembering the reaction. She blushed all over again. He stirred slightly. She thought for a moment that she had awakened him, but he didn't open his eyes. She laid there in his arms for a little longer before she quietly slipped from his grasp. She knew Harry would be up soon and she wanted to be up and in the living room when he came down as she was every morning. She hadn't got but a few feet away when she heard his silky, sweet voice.

"Where do you think you're going?" Severus asked her. There was a lazy smile upon his lips.

Alaina turned around and grinned at him. "I thought you were still asleep and I didn't want to wake you. Sorry."

He stretched a little, then sat upright. "The moment you touched me I was aware of you. Your touch is like fire."

She giggled. "I guess that's better than ice."

He laughed. "Yes."

"I'm going to go shower and get ready. I want to be up when Harry gets up. Would you like to join me?"

Severus raised an eyebrow at her. "In the shower?"

She blushed. She was modest and shy for the most part, but being with Severus had given her a slight bout of courage. "Yes. In the shower."

He got out of the bed immediately. "I wouldn't miss it for the world."

Once they were both clean and dry, they got dressed and headed down the stairs. Severus insisted that he cook breakfast so Alaina could rest a little on her summer vacation. She was hesitant at first. She didn't want him to have to do it, but he convinced her that he wanted to and she could not tell him 'no'. She gave in and told him where everything was. He cooked bacon, eggs, and toast, and by the time it was ready Harry was just heading down the stairs.

"Morning, everyone," Harry said groggily. It was clear that he wasn't fully awake yet.

"Morning," Alaina said with a smile. "How did you sleep?"

He smiled. "Good." He took a look in the kitchen and frowned. "How come he's cooking breakast?"

"He insisted," she told him.

"Can he cook?"

Alaina shrugged. "I guess we're going to find out."

"I heard that," Severus called from the kitchen. Harry and Alaina both giggled.

A few minutes later, the table was set and breakfast was served. The three of them ate in silence, mostly because every one of them was hungry. Once they were finished, Alaina took their plates. Harry went in the living room to watch cartoons and whatever else he could find on the television. Severus was still sitting at the table with his hands clasped together on top of it. He heard the rattling of the dishes in the sink and sighed loudly.

Alaina turned around. "What is it?"

He manuevered around in his chair to face her. "Nothing, love. I was just sighing. I can't remember ever being as happy as I am with you right now."