Chapter 5: Who cares about tomorrow...

Chapter 5

I dropped down on the locker room bench and quickly tried to do up my laces but my hands were shaking so much I had to stop and take a deep breath before I continued. I didn’t know if it was because I was team captain but I was always nervous before a big game.

Today was the finals, we had to win otherwise it would feel as though all our training had been for nothing. A chorus of laughter went up and I looked to the source; Grady stood across the room joking around with the other guys; he, as always was calm; nothing ever bothered him and I just had to admire him for that.

It was five minutes till warm up and then it was game time. I stuffed my  things into my locker and shut it then turned to face the group, some were off by themselves, mentally preparing for the match in their own way while others, much like the group before me, were joking around as a way to calm themselves.

I looked at my mate; at his laughing face, at his beautiful body and shook my head; he still hadn’t told me what had happened to him that night last week and I had decided to just drop it.

I knew I could find out on my own what he did whenever he disappeared, I mean I was after all my pack’s expert tracker, but it just felt wrong to spy on him, he should be the one to want to tell me I shouldn’t try to force it out of him.

‘Come on guys, it’s game time!” I announced and what sounded like a battle cry went up in the room. I had given my speech earlier and so all we had left to do was go out there and play our best.

………………………

I stole the ball out from between his legs and shifted it from foot to foot as I ran. I feinted to the right out of the way of the oncoming defender and upped my speed all the while looking around for someone to pass it over to.

I was way too far to score and this was the one goal we needed to win, at the moment it was a draw with about a minute left in the game. We couldn’t make this run into a penalty shootout.

Come on, come on” I chanted to myself as I dodged the other players and continued scoping out the field for a team mate; Nick was up front to the left with David close by him but if I could bypass the two guys coming at me I would have a clear shot to Steven and he’d be able to score. Easy win.

 I heard Nick screaming my name to pass over the ball to him but I continued on the path I’d chosen. I twisted around the oncoming player with the ball still dribbling between my legs, then managed to jump over the leg of the other guy as he tried to trip me with a  quick half slide.

After some crazy footwork I slammed the side of my foot into the soccer ball just before I fell chest first into the wet grass and rolled, my head jerking up to watch the play.

 My rain soaked hair slapped into my face and I flashed my head, my eyes peeling wide open so I could see how it would play out. The ball went exactly where I directed it and I watched with my heart lodged in my throat as Steven received the ball and wasted no time in directing it straight into the goal. My heart skipped a beat.

A roar went up in the crowd and I could hear the cleats pounding into the ground around me as my team mates ran to Steven’s side and hoisted him up into the air. I jumped up from where I had fallen, cheering my heart out at our victory and found myself running to meet up with the others. Hands clapped me on the back and shoulder and ruffled my soaking wet hair as we jumped and cheered.

We won! We won!” the voices around me shouted and I raised my voice along with theirs. The euphoria built inside me and spilled over as I cheered with my team mates. The rain and the wind didn’t matter, the dirt that caked our skins didn’t matter and our cuts and bruises didn’t matter. We won the finals! We won! And the crowd went wild.