Chapter 12

King Quincy was talking to an old friend, laughing about a memory they were reminiscing about, until he looked down to the youngin's dance floor below and sees his son with a girl, about to join the others on the center. He pushes the drink to his friend and rushes down (stealthily) to the stage. He then pulls one of the singers down and whispers inaudible sentences in his ears, and the troll nods in understanding, returning to his band mates with a new song to play.

Darnell notices his dad trying to sneak back up and locks eyes with him for a moment. The old troll gives him a thumbs up as the music ended too soon to play the next. Comparing to the tune earlier, this one is slower for a waltz dance.

Keely glances at him in sudden hesitation. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath, 'Calm it, D. She needs you to take the lead here, snap out of it!' Darnell looks at her and bows lightly, "May I?" Lost for words, she nervously bows back, and followed his steps.

Queen Essence saw what her husband had done and taken interest on them immediately. The bass resonated on their feet, an easily felt rhythm that everyone would wanna dance with.

"This song goes for all the love struck trolls out there, and if not then grab your best bud and never ever ever EVER leave their side. 'Cause in life, you're going to need somebody to stand by you," the lead singer started a little speech along the base notes. "Here we go! Oh oohhh~ my my my my my my my my my.... Don't be shy now."

The Queen speaks to the King without breaking her gaze on them, "He grew up so fast."

"Yeah. That's my son alright," he nodded.

"When the night has come, and the land is dark, and that moon is the only light I can see.
No I won't be afraid, no I-I-I won't be afraid.
Just as long as you stand, stand by me."

Darnell and Keely twirls around and catches each other with one foot holding the other's.

So darlin', darlin' stand by me, ooh stand by me. Ohhh stand by me, stand by me."

He sees her eyes glance every now and then to the corner to see if other trolls looked at them. So to prevent her from having any thoughts on it, he leaned his face a bit to get her attention, "Keely, don't mind them. Just enjoy. You're doing great," Prince D encourages. The girl's attention is now back to him, making the boy smile.

"If the sky we look upon, woah~ should tumble and fall, and the mountains should crumble to the sea, I won't cry, I won't cry. No, I won't she'd a tear, just as long as you stand, stand by me."

Keely's mom dragged her husband along to look at the lower platform where most of the trolls had already made way for her daughter and Prince D to dance on, "Honey, are you seeing this?!" she asks in a harsh whisper.

"Oh my goodness....that's our little princess... dancing off with a prince..." he breathed out, feeling like he's about to faint.

"Oh darling, darling stand by me, oh stand by me. Oh please stand, stand by me, stand by me. This outta be good!" the singer says excitedly as he mentally squeals for the two. The song continues on as a random acapella rhythms, so they finally had a chance to talk a little bit.

"Keely, you look.... amazing," he can't comprehend why he had only said that now, but it's true. He can't keep his eyes off her the moment she walked to his side. The accessory value less to the girl who's radiance outshines the jewelry.

"Oh jeez, be honest, my hair looks so weird isn't it?" she says that with a laugh, feeling horrified of what her mother had done to her earlier just to get her all dolled up for the party.

Darnell shakes his head, "Nah. It looks cool to me. More importantly, you seem much more confident now."

"Am I? Maybe it's because I have an awesome teacher," she smirks.

"No... You've achieved that since you allowed me to bring the dance out of you. It's all you, and... to be honest, I'm..." what should he say? Amazed? Awed? Proud? None of it all seemed fitting at all. Their eye contact lasted more than it should have, making her even more nervous and self conscious. "... What I meant to say was... you're fantastic. The most awesome friend--best friend I've ever had."

"Best....friend.." she repeats with an unreadable expression.

'Oh sh🐥! Why did I say that?!' Darnell started mentally scolding himself. This moment can't be salvaged any longer. He's so done for.

"Oh darling, darling stand by me, oh stand by me. Please stand, stand by me, stand by me.
Oh baby, baby, baby stand la la nomie

Ooh stand la la nomie. Whenever youre6in trouble.... you can stand.... stand by me. Stand by me. Sta~~~~~~~nd."