Chapter 10

Alex

I'm surprised by the feeling of warm, soft lips pressed against my own. It's not unpleasant. In fact, I quite like the sensation and my eyes drift closed on their own.

Until Leah pulls back quickly. Then I'm met with her horrified face and crimson cheeks. I can't stop myself from smiling.

"Oh my God! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to do that I swear!" She starts rambling and I can't help but chuckle at her obvious embarrassment.

I reach over and thread my fingers in her hair and slip my hand down to cup her cheek.

"It's fine, little one. Don't have a panic attack." I say trying to keep my voice soothing. Her breathing evens out a little and she seems to calm.

"You alright?" I ask, leaning forward and pressing my lips to her cheek, letting them linger a moment longer than necessary. I hear her breath hitch and pull back to look at her.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Thanks for making that less awkward than it needed to be." She says, pulling back and looking out the windshield. I chuckle and start the car before I respond.

"I think you're plenty awkward for the both of us." I say playfully and she glares at me again. I smile and tap her nose to which she rolls her eyes and refocuses on the new contraption she picked out. I thought it was actually pretty useful looking and can't wait until Penny sees it.

We travel in companionable silence as I think about what she said. Her human life span made both me and my wolf upset, which surprised me as he hasn't been attached to anyone since Julie died. I mean, we love our pack members, but my wolf was suggesting I mark her just to keep her alive and with us. I pushed that thought away. Surely having been treated so horribly by a mate in the past would make her wary of trusting another male wolf. I wouldn't blame her, I would probably struggle with it too if I were in her situation.

We make it back to the packhouse and she tries to run away from me, but I grab her wrist and pull her into my chest, wrapping my arm around her waist. She looks up at me with wide eyes and I give her a warm smile that seems to relax her.

"I have a meeting with Jon. Would you like to see my wolf after?" I ask her. He was excited to show himself off after she asked. She nods enthusiastically.

"Hell yes!" She exclaims. "I'll be in my room when you're done." She says.

"I'll mind link you." I say tapping her head and she giggles.

"Oh yeah. Forgot about that." She says, looking adorably embarrassed and I let her go so she can run up the stairs. I chuckle as I watch her go and walk to my office to meet Jon.

I walk into my office where Jon is waiting for me, spinning in my chair.

"What's up, Alpha?" He asks as I plop down in another chair and run my fingers through my hair.

"I want her." I say. He stops spinning to evaluate me appropriately.

"Leah?" He asks and I nod.

"She kissed me. Accidentally." I admit and his eyes go wide.

"What did your wolf do?" He inquires and I take a deep breath.

"Um... purred a little." I say, trying to wrap my mind around things. Jon's loud laughter pulls me out of my thoughts.

"He purred?! I was worried about him ripping her face off." He says and I nod.

"So was I." I say and he shakes his head.

"So what are you going to do?" He asks.

"Show her my wolf." I shrug. "See how he reacts to her." I say nervously.

"What's wrong? I've never seen you so anxious."

"I don't know how to... do this, Jon. With wolves it's easy. You find your mate, mark them and boom, you're together forever." I admit and he gives me a warm smile.

"You're doing this Leah's way." He says and I look at him confused.

"The human way." He clarifies. "Humans fall in love. They date, get to know each other. Sure it's different, but that doesn't make it any less important or special than wolves. We just have a mate bond that pushes us along." He says and I sigh heavily.

"So... what? I should introduce him to her and see if he likes her?" I ask and he shrugs.

"It seems like he already does, but yeah see how he reacts. Then maybe try to spend more time with her. Ask her out to dinner or something." He shrugs and stands while I watch him.

"How do you know so much about this stuff?" I ask and his face blushes.

"I watch a lot of movies."

"Porn doesn't really count as movies." I clarify and he huffs at me.

"No, Alpha. Actual movies." He says annoyed and I chuckle at him.

"OK. Wish me luck."

"Wait. You're going right now?" He asks and I nod.

"No time like the present." I say with much more certainty than I feel. I stand and leave the office while mind linking Leah.

'Meet me at the front door, little one.' I tell her.

'That was fast.' She responds and I stand to wait for her. She looks a little nervous as she descends the stairs and I can't help but smile.

"Relax. He won't hurt you." I tell her with an affectionate smile that she tries to return, but it really just looks like a grimace.

"I know." She says as she follows me out of the house and down the stairs.

I walk her towards a clearing and I've asked the pack to steer clear to give her a little privacy, since I don't know what her reaction will be. As we walk I notice her fingers twitching as she twists them nervously.

"We don't have to do this." I tell her and she looks up at me with wide eyes.

"No. I want to. I'm just nervous for some reason. I feel like this is a big deal or something." She says curiously and that sparks my attention.

Could she be feeling my feelings? That can't be possible. Unless... there is a start of a mate bond there. Maybe spending time together, bonding the way we have and my wolf's somewhat acceptance of her, something has started to tether us together. I'm not sure if it's actually possible, but it's about the only thing that makes sense.

"It's not a big deal." I lie. It is a big deal, at least to me. "I'm sure you'll do fine." I add, trying to convince myself as much as her. She nods and looks up at me a little fearful.

"If I get scared, I shouldn't run right. Then he'll want to chase me?" She asks and the question surprises me.

"A younger wolf, yes. But I have had a long time to train with my wolf. I allow him to take control, but I can still pull him back if I need to. I won't let him chase you if you get scared." I assure her and she seems to visibly relax.

"OK good. That's all I was worried about. Just so he knows I'm not a snack. Get a rabbit or something if you're hungry." She says, looking into my eyes but it's clear she's talking to my wolf and I can't help but laugh at this little human giving my Alpha wolf instructions, and he seems to actually be listening.

"OK. Don't eat you. Got it." I say, amusement lacing my tone. I grip her hand and she seems to relax a little. We walk in silence until we reach the clearing.

"I have to strip down so I don't tear my clothes when I shift. I'm going to go behind that tree and you'll hear some popping noises. When I come back, I'll be a wolf. Ok?" I ask and she follows every word I say religiously before she nods enthusiastically.

"Yes. Get naked then wolf." She repeats and I smile. I lean down and kiss her cheek before letting go of her hand.

"Don't be scared." I implore her and she gives me a wide smile.

"You don't scare me, punk." She taunts and I chuckle before nodding and jogging behind the tree.

I strip down quickly and shift, the whole time begging my wolf to be nice. I take a deep breath and step out from behind the tree with one final thought.

'Well here goes nothing.'