Chapter 34

Alex

After a good night's sleep, I was back to full strength and ready to take out these rogues. Alpha Knox and I discussed the attack plan and I was confident we could handle them with little to no injuries to our fighters. I was anxious to get the attack over with, but Knox seemed to be enjoying the commraderie of the camp, laughing and joking with his men.

He could do that at home as far as I was concerned.

"Let's do this Knox." I say sharply, my tone mirroring my frustration. He chuckles and shakes his head, giving me an affectionate pat on the back.

"Relax, Alex. Let the men finish their breakfast. No wolf can fight on an empty stomach." He says, grabbing more food. I huff at him, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I want everyone shifted and ready to go in twenty minutes." I practically shout. He sighs, but nods his head in agreement. A little growl escapes me as my nerves begin to roil. I walk away to get some seperation and link Leah.

'Hey little one.' I press gently against her mind. It's still early and I'm guessing she's sleeping.

'Hey, baby. What are you up to?' Her sleepy little voice massages my mind, calms my nerves and extinguishes my frustration. My wolf purrs in content, but my body stiffens wishing I could be there with her.

'Just checking in. Everything ok?' I ask.

'Yeah. I didn't sleep great without you, but Jon and Penny have been distracting me.' She says. I can tell she's trying to make her voice sound light and unbothered, but I can feel her sadness through our bond.

'I'll be home soon.' I tell her warmly, hoping it's true. There are never any guarantees with things like this.

'Is it over?' She asks hopefully. I sigh heavily, not wanting to lie to her and not wanting her worried.

'Not yet. We found them and have plenty of warriors to take care of them. We are going to strike today and I'll be on my way home to you this afternoon.' I tell her firmly. Leaving no doubts about my intentions. I will be going home to her. I hear her sigh in my mind and feel her anxiety pick up. I curse myself for worrying her. I should have just let her sleep, but hearing her voice soothes me, centers me. Prepares me for what I must do to protect her and our pack.

'Please let me know when it's over. That you're alright.' She says quietly.

'Of course. You'll need plenty of time to prepare for me to come home.' I say teasingly.

'Prepare for what?' She asks cheekily and I chuckle.

'For what I'm going to do to you.' I say lowly and I'm sure if I were next to her, I would have seen her body shiver.

'Promises, promises Alpha.' She quips, my smile growing wider.

'And I always keep mine. Don't I?'

'Always.' She says quietly and my heart aches, wishing she were in my arms.

'I need to go. I love you, Leah.' I say, pushing as much love and affection through our bond as I can.

'I love you too, Alex.' She says before I break the link and take a deep breath.

I feel much better after talking to Leah, knowing she's safe and anxious for me to return lights a new fire of determination under me. I want to get this shit over with and get home to start the next chapter of my life.

"Alex?" I hear Knox call. I go find him, sorrounded by wolves, anxious breathing and pacing filling the otherwise quiet morning.

"There you are. You're the one that said twenty minutes and went off and disappeared." He says, sounding a little annoyed.