CHAPTER 20: "Sometime it's the situation to be blamed"

HAZEL MARTINEZ

When we reached home, Rafael took me straight to our room he didn't even let me answer Dad's question. Dad too was confused by his sudden behaviour.

As we were inside our room Rafael stood in front of me looking straight in my eyes.

"There are few things that you don't know about Simon which may hurt you but now you need to know them."

I scanned his face once before asking "Is it something bad?"

He nodded.

"I don't want to know." I replied.

Rafael came closer to me, placing his one hand on my chin making me look up at him "I have noticed something about you, you never ask the question 'why' and I think I know why because you don't wanna get hurt."

He was right. I never asked Simon why he kept me caged for 6 months. I never asked him why he is away from me for more than a year. I never asked him why doesn't he tell me about his work and above all I never asked him why am I not allowed to tell people who my brother is.

"I am scared of losing people that's why I never searched about Simon even if I knew he was quiet famous." I said gulping hard "I don't want to know anything about you or about Simon if that helps me in loving you, I am fine with it."

"But this you need to know. I don't want to tell you but I have to." He said taking a step backwards then continued "Simon is in the mafia."

For a moment I froze, I tried to process it again.

Simon is what?

"What?" I asked in disbelief.

"Actually, he is not just in the mafia he is the leader."

"M-Mafia? Like in the books?" I asked.

He chuckled "You read mafia books?"

I nodded "It's not funny, I am serious. Does he kill innocents?"

"It's more dangerous than you think, than the books. You wasn't told anything about your family, they did that to keep you safe. Your Dad was also a leader after him Simon took over and your Mom-Dad were killed for this mafia."

Killed. Those black outfit men were in the mafia?

"Who killed them?"

"I don't know. Some other mafia gang. You are in danger because Simon killed someone to take the revenge of your Mom-Dad's death few years ago and now, someone named Vincent is back to take his revenge. Simon's men are dying and he isn't able to do anything, Aaron too died because he is also a part of the mafia thing and yeah Christopher too."

How can Simon be in the mafia? He is the sweetest person I have ever known how can he be a cruel person to kill people? And Aaron too?

No this is not possible.

But if Rafael is telling the truth then everyone has till now lied to me... everyone I trusted.

Simon.

Aaron.

Uncle.

Mom.

Dad.

"Our marriage too was because of this mafia thing."

No Rafael please don't tell me you too lied to me, I won't be able to trust you again.

"I know you are cruel and you have all the qualities of a mafia but please don't tell me you too are a part of the mafia."

He smiled then shook his head "I am not."