Chapter 138

Note: This chapter contain hints of rape, which might cause discomfort.

Yu Miao Qi and Lin Shi had been on the road for two months, and it would take them another half a month to arrive to Shuo City. Other than being a primitive city, the only thing Shuo City had was a vast expanse of yellow soil. The only way for the men to survive here was to cultivate the land and grow enough food for themselves; while the women were dependent on the men. Because of the barren land and harsh climate, men could not even feed themselves, so how could they feed their wives? Therefore, women were considered a burden. Other than to bear and raise children, they were only the objects to vent their grievances or desire.

There was no man in Shuo City who didn't love to beat his wife. Under the prolonged period of labour and maltreatment, the women in Shuo City usually lived very short lives, with very few that lived beyond the age of forty.

Yu Miao Qi had been enquiring about Shuo City throughout the journey. The more she was told about it, the colder she felt. Today, the group of exiled stopped at a deserted relay station for horses, where they found an empty seat and took out the dried food ration from their baoguos[1] to eat.

The moon was at its highest peak tonight. The moonlight coated a layer of misery on the pale faces of these haggard looking people, making them look very eerie. Suddenly, Yu Miao Qi felt like there was a thorn poking against her back. She turned her head and saw a prison guard staring at her with bloodshot eyes while chewing his beef jerky. His dark pupils filled with tyrannical lust.

Of all the female prisoners, Yu Miao Qi was the only one who was still a maiden. Furthermore, she was still very beautiful even though she was covered with dust. She stood out within that group of grey headed madams. The jailer, who had been holding back for a long time, could not suppress any longer. After chewing beef jerky in a few bites, he walked over and dragged Yu Miao Qi towards a bush.

Yu Miao Qi involuntarily screamed, "What are you doing? Help! Mother, help me!"

Lin Shi rushed to her aid but was kicked away by the jailer. She held onto her chest and couldn't get up for a long time.

"What's the hurry? You'll get your turn when we are done with her!" The other man's laughing voice startled the birds in the treetops.

"I am the younger sister of Duke Yu. If you touch me, Duke Yu will definitely cut you into pieces!" Yu Miao Qi shouted at the top of her lungs. Lin Shi hastily agreed with her and tried to get the jailer to back off.

The jailer hesitated, but still held onto Yu Miao Qi by the back of her neck as he turned to face the guard leader.

"She is indeed Duke Yu's younger sister. Just don't get her killed. I promised Old Madam Yu to send them to Shuo City alive." The guard waved his hand indifferently.

"Rea-Really? As long as I really don't get them killed?" The prison guard couldn't quite believe his ears. He was not from the capital. Because he had offended his supervisor, he was temporarily sent over to supplement the manpower halfway through. He had heard a little about the farcical Yu manor injustice case without knowing the inside story.

The guard sneered, "In order to help King Li usurp the throne, she planted fabricated evidence into Duke Yu's study to plant false evidence of plotting a rebellion against Duke Yu and the Crown Prince. When Duke Yu fell into the Wu River and it was unknown whether he was dead or alive, she joined her mother and Third Uncle in framing Duke Yu by incessantly pouring pots after pots of dirty water. Rather than being his blood-related sister from the Di[2] family, she was equivalent to or even worse than someone who had a death grudge with him. If Duke Yu hadn't been lucky enough to survive and win a great victory over Western Barbarians, no one would know how badly she could have destroyed the legitimate branch of the Yu family. Old Madam Yu told me that she doesn't care about anything else as long as she is alive. So do what you want. Just don't go overboard."