9. Computer Virus

Nobody, not the man who unleashed it nor the unsuspecting masses knew that the virus would become the end of humanity. Jeromy had been driving to his girlfriend's house when it happened. He was driving down country road after country road. The emotionless drone of his phone guiding him. "In 200 yards, turn left" it said. His fatigue clouded mind turned left down the road. He flipped on his headlights to see through the darkness as he turned into a forest. His mind was elsewhere, thinking about how his girlfriend's parents would think of him as his phone came again "in 100 yards, turn right and continue straight ahead for 2 miles" he made a right turn, squinting through the darkness, his headlights barley illuminated ahead of him as he drove. After a few minutes he was jolted from his daydream by the feeling of air rushing under the car. He didn't have enough time to process what was happening before he was thrown forward, the sound of shattering glass filling his ears before he felt a sharp pain in his chest. In his last disoriented moments of life he looked down at the tree branch that was spiked through his heart and though only of what his girlfriend waiting at home, not knowing where he was and felt a wave of guilt as his life slipped from his body.