14. Claws

The creature was stalking through the darkness. I saw it's shifting just beyond the light of my torch. The sound of it crackling flame mixing with the scraping of the creatures claws against the floor of the cave. As I slowly walked backwards, backing away from the creature my foot fell into a small indent in the floor. I stumbled back and the creature stalked forward. In the brief glimpse I caught of it as I caught myself I could see its outline, tall and hulking. But the only detail I could make it was its large, jagged claws. My breathing became quicker and it swiped at me, missing by an inch before I held my torch towards it, warding it back. I turned around. A large rock wall stood between me and the cave entrance. I slowly but surely began to climb up the wall. I could feel it, its eyes glaring at me, waiting, watching for me to make a mistake. As I made my way up I moved slowly and carefully. One slip away from death at all times. After 5 heart pounding minutes the mouth of the cave was in sight. I sighed with relief and put my hands up to pull myself up the final cliff. Leaving my body in the darkness. I realised my mistake too late as I felt its claws wrap around my leg and throw me from the cliff. I felt air rush past me before stopping all at once. I felt my body shatter as the growl of the creature echoed through the cave. It was all over.