chapter thirty-two

"She will never be that her again

"She will never be that her again."

- b.m (modified)

✥ ✥ ✥

(TW)

"THE TRUTH IS THIS WORLD DIDN'T DESERVE ERIC THOMAS," There are tears in the corner of my eyes daring to fall and leave my cheeks bright red, but I don't cry, not when I have to appear as strong. 

I contain the sobs because I'm afraid if I shatter again, no one will bring together the pieces.

"My best friend was too good for this world of pain. He saw the good before the bad in everyone he met. He saw the light where there was only darkness and people took advantage of that. They played him and used his friendship, his kindness for bad things. Anyone would change after that, anyone who had been through a minor part of the things Eric faced, would give their back to the world. And yet, he didn't."

Gosh, it hurts so much. 

I don't think I can go through this.

"Eric Thomas continued to love unconditionally, to believe that the good would always win. But he was still human, in my eyes the light of everyone's life and he got tired of swimming against the current. As I said, Eric didn't deserve to live in a world of pain. It breaks my heart to know that we lost him because there are people that don't know how to love a fellow human being."

I take a pause, inhaling deeply as the air has completely disappeared and having to look away from the people that are seated in front of me. They think I'm the greatest friend in the world.

Bella doesn't even look me in the eye, knowing that I've neglected our friendship and I don't blame her. Not when grief is different for everyone and I did exactly that.

I failed him and yet I still have to pretend I did everything I could. 

"He was the best friend I could ever ask. It hurts so bad but I'm so so thankful that I had him in my life. That I was able to watch his beautiful smile ghost over his lips every time he had a crazy idea or danced like the time has stopped. Thank you, Eric Thomas, for being your true self above anything."

The tears that I've held now stream fast against my cheeks and I took one last time to the photo of my friend next to me. He's smiling wide at the camera, his entire face lighting up because it was the first day of Senior year. Eric was thrilled to finish high school and travel the world with only his backpack and his desire to love. 

It doesn't feel real.

"I hope you can forgive me for letting you down, Eric," I mumble those words while placing my hand in the wooded coffin closed in front of me. It's adorned with gorgeous blue violets that accurately represent his eyes' color and that only makes hiccups grow loud in my throat, "I will always love you." 

The pain is unbearable and I'm the last person to talk before they lower the body, which only makes me see everything in a blur while I reach for my seat. Everyone is crying, lots of people who loved Eric coming together as one to mourn a beautiful soul, and still it doesn't ease the suffering.

Because they didn't know him as I did, as Bella did. He showed us all his sides and even the worst one was incredible.