chapter eight

"She wasn't looking for a knight anymore, she was looking for a sword

"She wasn't looking for a knight anymore, she was looking for a sword."

- Atticus

✥ ✥ ✥

THE BAD BOY ASKED ME to come to his house for the practice, but it's been ten minutes and I can't leave the bathroom.

This time, Tom didn't restrain himself from beating me. The mirror reflects a girl full of bruises, shattered inside and outside. It looks like a truck ran over me. I can almost see the flesh of my cheek. Shades of pink and dark red take place and the cuts from the shattered glass cover my whole left thigh.

I try not to cry, not to let him win but I look horrible. For the first time, I find myself ugly.

Nothing can make me look better. Some tears leave my eyes while pressing the bruise on my cheek with a cloth soaked with water and soap. I need to get ready for my training session with Damien.

I was excited to start training but after seeing how I look, I wish I didn't have to go. I want to never get out of this house, never letting people see how truly broken I am.

The fact that I can't protect my brother is embarrassing. My mother trusted Sammy's life on my hands and now, everything is shattering around me, ever since she died.

Still, I know that if I cancel, the bad boy won't help me anymore.

It hurts like hell to apply face foundation on my cheek in an attempt to cover my dad's marks. If Damien saw them, he would ask too many questions. Sammy's safety would be at risk.

The buzz from my phone on top of my bathroom countertop scares me, causing me to almost end up dropping the facial product, the one I've been using constantly since I was left all by myself. When I grab my phone, the screen immediately brightens, revealing who just texted me.

Bad boy: Are you coming or not?

His message causes my stomach to twist. I feel the urge to bite my lip but my mind tells me not to. I need to take a deep breath and try to calm myself down so I don't get another anxiety attack. It's not the time.

Breath, Adelina.

Ten minutes.

He doesn't need to know why I took so long. I quickly change myself into some legging pants and a sweatshirt. Deep inside, I pray that the makeup I did is enough to cover up the bruises.

Phone in hand, I head to Sammy's room, to say goodbye and advise him about our dad. Another buzz comes from my phone and the screen brightens once more.

Bad boy: I'm eager to see you ;)

A smile escapes from my lips as soon as I read his message. Deep inside, I know I'm being such a fool but I can't help it. I head my eyes on Damien for too long and for the first time, he's noticing me.