chapter twenty-eight

"She found the colors to paint him where the world had left him gray"

- Atticus

✥ ✥ ✥

I HAVE A SMIRK ON MY LIPS as I head back to the bar where Damien hasn't left ever since I said that I was going to the bathroom.

He is drinking a dark brownish liquid now, probably whiskey, and his calloused fingers circle the rim of the glass. His eyes dart from left to right to a fight where two new guys are already making each other bleed.

The girls' fights are up in a few minutes and just the thought of it makes my insides twist. I wonder what the bad boy will do.

"Back so soon?" His words are a way of protecting himself, posing as the tough guy who doesn't give a damn about what I do. I know better.

"You know you missed me." I take the drink from his hands and take a gulp of it, the high alcohol content of an old whiskey burning my throat merciless. It feels like flames but it makes me forget for a moment what I did.

The boy next to me raises his eyebrows, amused by how I drank it without a single nasty face and I try so hard to rip off the playful smile from my lips as I look at him.

Each second that brings me closer to hearing my name in the speakers makes my heart go frantic, yet I feel hyped. It could be the shots from earlier or just the urge to do something crazy screaming in my mind.

"What did you do, gorgeous?" His voice tone is low, his hand gripping my elbow in a tight but not painful way and it sends a shiver throughout my entire spine.

I bite my lip, wondering if I should tell him or wait until I can no longer hide it. The second option is what I choose, using his technique of keeping everyone in the dark against him.

I just shrug my shoulder to his question, earning a groan from him while I ask the bartender for another shot. I will definitely need it when his grip only ends up tighter.

"What are you up to, Adelina?" Now he uses my whole name, his hazel mesmerizing eyes locking with mine and I know Damien is trying to analyze me like he has done several times before. I look at his lips and then to him, deep inside being sure that he's clueless.

In a million years, neither of us would have imagined that I could be capable of something so daring.

But I'm tired of not living to the fullest and I'm tired of being told constantly what to do.

I give him a slow kiss on the cheek which only makes him tense in place, his hand traveling to my waist but I get away from his grip and sit on the stool next to me, making sure I leave a bit of space between our bodies.