chapter twenty

"It didn't matter that she fell apart, it was how she put herself back together every single time

"It didn't matter that she fell apart, it was how she put herself back together every single time."

- Atticus

✥ ✥ ✥

THE WORDS THAT ARE WRITTEN ON THE PAPER in front of me make little sense, and I curse underneath for forgetting that we would have an AP Biology test today, one of the hardest subjects. With everything that has happened, it slipped off my mind completely, but now somehow getting a miserable grade is the least of my problems.

Not when I've already packed my belongings and Sammy's ones.

It's only a matter of time now.

I'm one of the few people left in the classroom, one or two really giving their best efforts on the test but the rest is just trying to cause a good intention, pretending they know the subject or praying to receive a sign from the universe on which letter to choose, I'm a bit of both today.

"Here, Mr. Perez," I say after standing up from my seat and giving the teacher in front of me the piece of the paper I hope will be anything but an F.

He eyes me up and down, his immense round glasses only making his dark blue tired eyes even bigger, probably wondering why the hell I took so long today when his subject is the class I'm the best at but he lets go and just take the test from my hand.

"Thank you, Adelina." With that, I leave the room that feels insanely suffocating and let go of the deep breath I held during the entire way to the teacher's desk.

The air of the hallway is useless to keep me calmer and the sided-looks from my classmates as they judge my choice of outfit doesn't help either. Since it was my last period of the day, I lose no time in heading straight to my car, the urge for feeling the wind on my dark brown curls growing around me.

"Hey, girl!" Skinny but strong arms hug me from behind when I'm almost at the glass doors, and I don't even need to turn around to recognize the person in the melodic voice.

"Hey, Kayla," I say without the same enthusiasm as she positions herself to my side, walking with me and flashing a wide smile, her perfect white teeth making her even more beautiful.

Today, her honey blonde long locks are up in an immaculate ponytail that highlights her big and rounded hazel eyes, contrasting against her fair skin, so different from my light brownish one. The tight, midi black dress pairs with her usual leather jacket and high-heeled boots.

Even if the girl next to me tried, she couldn't be ugly.

"Are you okay?" Kayla grabs my arm and makes me look directly at her, her voice tone being sincere and honest, but the minute she asks that my heart feels like it has stopped.